"Once more into the Day Camp, Dear Friends"

So the week went well, despite prior misgivings...

Wonderful Wacky World of Wheels, it is then.

Scout Skills( flag and knots)

Nature (fishing got 114 fish and released; poison ivy ID'ed; beaver sign shown; pealiated woodpecker heard)

Crafts (made a totem, a hat and ...)

Archery (shorter range per National rules yields many more bulls on the list, 56 pins to bestow)

The semi from the American Trucking Association couldn't fit thru the woods, so only the bobtail tractor came to look at ("I heart Trucks" pins passed out)

The off road Caterpillar dump truck (BIIIG tires. Would hold 557 CubScouts!) is a hit.

Sports car club couldn't come after all, so County Vol. Fire Truck shows up on short notice.(fire safety, turnout gear, demo equipment "OOO...AAAH")

Staffer rides his Yamaha 650 in and talks about safety and mechanics (size 8 helmet on size 6 Cub heads yields neat photos)

Bike professional comes and demos his unicycle and Penny-farthing and trick trail bike. (safety and helmets!)

Archery Pro comes and demos how to MAKE bows and arrows and wows'em at the archery range at lunch. (he was the only one we PAID. All others gratis!)

Last day is the "Water Fest" and after lunch our (nonflame) Campfire...

Woman Den Walker comes up to me during Water Fest and states, " This is the most disorganized, chaotic, seemingly random (sic) occurance I have EVER experienced. Couldn't you have done ((this and this and this)) to make it better???" I responded, "I'm sorry you feel that way. Are your Cubs having fun?" She says, "I don't know, some of them are just sitting and some are milling around..." I look over her shoulder and watch 25 or 30 having at each other with squirt guns, in another area a bunch are having Tug o' War over a kiddie pool mud pit. Another group is examining an area we roped off when we found a big turtle laying eggs in the hole she dug. A large group is running and jumping on to the Slip 'n Slide (plastic sheet, detergent and water) and the last group is having a whipped cream relay (use your imagination), donated by the local grocery. Freeezy Pops for the sitters, lunch comes next, I remember.

I smile and tell the woman we will try to do better next year.

KiS MiF YiS

sounds like one fantastic weekend that i sure know that i and my scouts would have loved to gone too.

the way i judge if my sons and the scouts had a good time? are they coming home filty and exhausted? then they had a good time !!! sounds like those boys did !

well, you can't please 'em all! I'd personally give her a loooong list of some of the jobs that will need doing next year, and see how quick she is to reiterate!

I agree- if the kids are dirty and tired and grinning ear to ear, then it was a good day!