At our last campout, we boy break his arm. While there were no issues, it got us to thinking about supplemental insurance.

What are opinions on supplemental medical issurance? What about additional liability? Do you use it? Do you need it? Is it worth it?

Most councils buy the BSA accident insurance for the units. It is a secondary coverage that takes care of expenses after the families primary insurance runs out or covers expenses not covered by the primary insurer. For example the deductable that the family paid can be recovered through the BSA accident insurance.

All registered adults and the charter organization have liability protection through the BSA (there are conditions), if you want additional liability protection you can certainly do that on an individual basis through your personal insurance company. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

I'm not sure how BSA insurance really works. A few years back we got a memo in my council telling us that about the limits on council/BSA insurance. I don't recall the numbers since it wasn't important to me because I have good insurance but it was pretty low by modern standards.

Before they changed the insurance, I tried to use it when I was injured at summer camp and needed a quick trip to the emergency room. The SM said, "Here, take these numbers with you for BSA insurance." If I had known what a hassle it was going to become, I would have opted to just pay the $25 co-pay for my insurance. Six months after the event, I was still fielding phone calls from the hospital about insurance coverage. It looked like BSA insurance was giving them the runaround.

Our council buys all the units the secondary insurance too. I have heard horror stories as well as good stories about it. My understanding it is only secondary and is suppose to cover what your own insurance doesn't. Kind of dumb in my humble option do the number of individuals in our group that do not have any insurance.

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Supplimental insurance is something individuals may want to consider if they have access to it: such as AFLAC or the like. (my family had until jobs were switched and then did not keep up the coverage)

Just to let you know this still does not cover everything but will give you cash back for a new injury or er visit relating to an accident. Also after 1 year they will pay your for a physical.If anything serious evolves such as surgery the payment to you increases. This pays the individual directly not the provider.

I'm not an insurance agent but someone would have to be administrator for the pack or troop. I can imagine All the paperwork and hassle for just a pack or troop to try to get it and track who has paid , etc. Of course if you have a large pack bank account and someone who loves paperwork it may be worth investigating...........

as far as the BSA there is a form on their website you fill out after you get an EOB from your personal ins carrier. If you do not get it you must ask ins carrier for itmes over 300.00. Per the form they will pay less than that w/o the insurance explanation but coverage is not guranteed. seeing as how long it takes to even get the EOB most times it may be worth your while to pay your deductable(or make payment plans) and then wait to see if covered and get money diretly from Bsa or from provider.

IMO it's only worth filing if there is a large out of pocket .