How to address advancement issue?

Our cubmaster has said in a couple of leader meetings that ALL boys will be getting a rank badge at our upcoming Blue & Gold whether they have completed the requirements or not.

This is so obviously wrong to me that I don't know how to approach him in a constructive manner. One that will help him understand a little better what it means to earn an award appropriately.

For background - I'm currently a Wolf den leader with a Wolf in the pack. My oldest is now a Boy Scout. He did not join scouting until 4th grade. I was assistant den leader for his 5th grade year and tiger den leader last year. I've been fully trained for all those positions and have done BALOO and attended 2 or 3 rounds of University of Scouting.

The cubmaster is now in his 2nd year as cubmaster. I don't know if he was a den leader prior to that or not. I am also fairly certain he has not attended any training. I don't think he's ever attended a roundtable, either. His oldest son has Down's syndrome and is finishing up his first year in Boy Scouts. He has two sons in the pack, one a Webelos II and the other a Tiger.

I'd appreciate some perspective on how to talk with him.

Just have a talk with him and ask him what he is trying to accomplish with this. If he plans to simply hand out rank awards as a shirt decoration only, without expecting the boys to do the work, why not just do it in September and be done with it.

Remind the CM that the BSA rules are that you are not allowed to change (add to or delete) any requirements, and that you will not be handing out un-earned Wolf rank badges to your den.

Cub Scouts have until the end of the school year, and in some cases a bit longer, to EARN their rank awards. Why the hurry to just give them away?

It's been a while since I was involved in the Cub Scouting program.

I was never a Tiger, Wolf or Bear Den Leader, but did serve as a Webelos Scout Den Leader and Cubmaster.

My understanding of Cub Scout Advancement is that Cub Scouts who are in the Tiger, Wolf and Bear Dens work with their parents on advancement.

Family involvement is a big part of Cub Scouting and is a method of Cub Scouting.

Parents are not only allowed but are encouraged to work with their son on meeting the requirements and sign off in the Cub Scouts book when the requirement has been met.

This changes when the Lad becomes a Webelos Scout, then it is up to the Webelos Scout Den Leader to sign off that the requirement has been met. This is seen as helping the Webelos Scout being prepared for Boy Scouting where the parent doesn't play a role in saying that the requirements have been met (Unless the parent is involved as some sort of leader or MB Counselor.)

The bottom line is that the Cubmaster has nothing to do with the advancement of any of the youth in a Pack.

Someone might want to get their hands on a copy of the Cub Scout Leader Book and show him what his role in the Pack is!!

I kinda think in his heart of hearts that he knows what he is thinking of doing is not the way that things should be done.

I would hope that someone who is close to him would find the right time, right place and a nice kind way of pointing this out to him.

Even when we deal with this young Scouts the life lesson we pass on to them by handing out awards that have not been earned is not a good lesson.

Some time back a Boy Scout who attended school with my son received his Eagle Scout rank. My son knows the Lad very well. They were not in the same Troop.

To be honest the Lad who received his Eagle was never that interested in being a Scout, but his Dad was SM and forced him to remain in the program. He really is not everything or anything that you might expect an Eagle Scout to be!! Having been in trouble at school a lot and in trouble with the law a few times.

When he got his Eagle rank, my son was a Life Scout.

I was doing my best to encourage him to complete his Eagle Scout requirements. Sadly he seen what had gone on with this other Lad and said "If they give it to people like him, it's not worth having."

Is is fair to the other Cub Scouts who have done their best to work on and meet the requirements if at the end of the year we hand this awards out to the Scouts who have not earned them?

I think not and I also think it harms everyone in the program.

Eamonn.

I'll have to tag on with what Eamonn said, that when you just "give" boys the rank advancement, or for that matter any badge is is just a piece of cloth with colorful thread. There is no sense of accomplishment that accompanies the receipt. Additionally, when we do this in Cub Scouts, and in particular with Webelos, we are setting the boy up for failure in Boy Scouts where they have to demonstrate their knowledge to someone other than their parents. Sounds like this Cubmaster is understandably simpathetic due to his expierences with his Down's son, and will be around for some time. Talk to the other parents and pack leaders about the importance of the boys feeling like they've actually EARNED the award. Otherwise, it is just a piece of cloth with colorful thread.

This is absolutely wrong.

While there are allowances made for disabled boys, even they are not allowed to just be given an award. Even they must do their best. When my disabled son was in Scouting, I spent a lot of time understanding the BSA Policies and recommendations for disabled Scouts. I also took the Disabilities Seminar at Philmont Training Center and served on a council level "disabilities committee."

Where is the CC in this. Maybe that person can talk to the CM. If the CM won't listen to someone in the Pack. Get your Unit Commissioner involved. This is a District position so if you don't have one, talk to your DE. That person is trained to help units that are having problems.

Talk to your District Training Chair. They may have ideas on how to convince the CM to get trained.