Campout getting closer

Well our campout is getting close and closer. Things are getting down to the wire.

Yes I have my tour permit filed and in hand.

We went to the Federal Surplus ware house today. THey have a bunch of cool stuff that we can get for the pack. We got two sleeping bags, (Military mummy bags)(OH NO!!! MILITARY STUFF) a parachute, waterproof bag, and a large box for $38.

This place is pretty cool. I think we will be returning soon.

Any last minute pointers that I need to know

Ensure you've taken care of Food storage, Ice, critter protection, etc.

Have water available on site or potable water & storage you are taking with you, you'll need more than you think.

Make sure if you are using public land that all your ducks are covered there. Your local contact for Eastern Carolina Conservation lands should be...

http://www.ctnc.org/landtrusts/coastal.htm

National Park lands at nps.gov.

We've encountered the need for special use permits for groups as small as six depending on where we were going.

Check the weather immediately prior to departure.

Make sure someone knows where you actually will be the route you are taking to get there and return and estimated time of return and time to start worrying when late.(Council isn't coming to look for you :) )

Do all of the boys have the ten essentials?

Gunny

Refresh my memory, 12 essentials. I have been going through brain fry here the past week.

As for special use permits, it is a local city run park. The contact stated that as long as there was no burn ban, then we should be ok for a camp fire. That is about it. The rest of the Nature center is open for the exploring. We will have scheduled activities and free time in the afternoon.

Allow me, Gunny...

The Ten Essentials comprise the basic equipment that many consider essential in the backcountry. These items are recommended as the very minimum materials necessary to increase the likelihood of survival when in the field. The Ten Essentials are normally carried in a small, separate waterproof container or pack so that they can always be carried on person, and are thus less likely to be lost. In the event that a hiker loses the bulk of his equipment, these ten essentials ensure that the individual will have the fundamental materials needed to have or improvise the human needs for food, shelter, and fire, and in some instances, the ability to navigate out of dangerous circumstances. Although they are referred to as the "Ten Essentials," the list is generally supplemented by a several additions, such as a plastic tarp, duct tape, sewing kit, etc.

The Ten Essentials were first described in the 1930s by The Mountaineers, a hiking and mountain climbing club. Many hikers, backpackers, and climbers rigorously ensure they have the ten essentials with them.

According to the standard textbook Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, the ten essentials are:

Map

Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)

Sunglasses and sunscreen

Extra food and water

Extra clothes

Headlamp/flashlight

First aid kit

Fire starter

Matches

Knife

The textbook recommends supplementing the ten essentials with:

Water treatment device (water filter or chemicals) and water bottles

Ice axe for glacier or snowfield travel (if necessary)

Repair kit, including duct tape and a basic sewing materials.

Insect repellent (or clothing designed for this purpose)

Signaling devices, such as a whistle, cell phone, two-way radio, unbreakable signal mirror or flare.

Plastic tarp and rope for expedient field shelter.

Not every expedition will require the use of an essential item. However, carrying these basics makes sure that one is prepared for unexpected emergencies in the outdoors. For instance, if a hiker experiences a sudden snow storm, it is imperative that he have fresh clothes and fire starter to keep himself warm; otherwise it is likely that he will suffer hypothermia, and perhaps death. In most circumstances, the Ten Essentials will transform a potentially life threatening experience into a mere discomfort.

Ohio Scouter

Thanks for the list. I was thinking that they were talking about something administrativly. But Now I understand that they mean the 10 essential items to have.

Gold_winger

I like your list a lot also. I think that is great.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

• 2 weeks later...

We had to postpone our campout. Heavy thunderstorms came through our area last night, and we were figuring that this would not be good weather for a first campout for the tigers.

But we still went up there during the day. We went through the Nature center and the Science building, the boys played in the Park and looked through the fossil dig. They rode the train.

After lunch we went fishing for a couple of hours.

The boys enjoyed it and we all had fun.

We are planning to have our campout in 4 weeks.

Lets hope for better weather.