Blue and Gold Scheduling problem

Friends,

I need your sage advice and wisdom.

First to set up a scenario. Our Blue and Gold has traditionally been planned by the WII families and they are given a decent amount of latitude. However, what they planned did not fit in with our written pack guidelines so we asked them to go back to the drawing board. They had not even gotten a location until just a few weeks ago, nor had a firm date for the event, which is now about a month away.

Two weeks ago, one of the WII families told me that they had another activity the day of the Blue and Gold. I aksed what time it was so that we could shift our schedule around so his son could attend at leastthe AOL and crossover. Their event was all day and into the evening. So I then told him that we could do his ceremonies at a later pack meeting since they would be choosing the other event over scouts.

I thought they had agreed to that until I got an e-mail yesterday wondering why we were basically excluding his son. We had announced the date at at least one pack meeting and a couple den meetings a couple months prior. We've invited them to our committee meeting this week.

As I see it, our options are limited.

-Ask them why the other event is more important than his son's AOL and Crossover.

-Reschedule B&G and possibly inconvenience several others who had already locked in the date.

-Let it run as scheduled.

Obviously this will be a committee decision but I request any advice you may have to offer.

You don't need to remind me that we need to plan stuff better. We've already figured that one out.(This message has been edited by Raisinemright)

My advice, having been there

1. It is unlikely that any scheduled time will fit all, afterall it is flu season, so you "do your best" (Cub Scout motto). How many can attend the announced date? Seem a good number, then run as scheduled. If the attendance looks slim, then reconsider.

2. Don't question a parent's decision to attend another activity. That's a lose-lose situation. I have had parents opt to attend Ice Capades because they suddenly had tickets, basketball because they were suddenly in the playoffs,...whatever, their choice. May not make any sense to us, but we are not in their shoes.

3. Tell parents they have a choice of plan B's

- receive AOL at next pack meeting (probably no ceremony)

- attend AOL and crossover with another pack (ceremony)

- receive AOL with troop (maybe at Court of Honor, talk with SM)

- other ideas?

4. Most important, relax. Don't get stressed over this.

"- receive AOL at next pack meeting (probably no ceremony)"

There is NEVER any good reason to give an award out, especially such an important award, without a ceremony!

If the 5th grade Webelos parents planned this event, than this parent had input and probably knew the date before you did. At your committee meeting assure them you are not excluding their son, but that large events like this can not be re-scheduled. It is their choice, not yours, as to weather their son attends.

Will this be your Pack meeting for March? Have you had your Pack meeting for February yet? Make sure that the boy gets a ceremony to celebrate his AOL and Crossover as close to the current date as possible. This might even mean holding the ceremonies as part of their first Troop meeting.

As I read the initial posting, the AOL Crossover has not happened yet. If you state an option

"receive AOL at the next Pack meeting, but probably no ceremony."

It informs the parents of the consequences. They may

1) reconsider and join ceremony, which is where we are trying to steer them.

2) or a response - 'WHAT NO CEREMONY, what do you mean no ceremony? My boy deserves no less ... '

Then sternly but courteously say

"Many people have worked long and hard to produce this important ceremony for our scouts, their families, and the Pack. Printing, hall rental, food catering, decoration, entertainment, scheduling Troop representatives and other guests, not to mention getting that bridge down from the attic of the police station and setting it up...all of this planned and communicated in advance. We are disappointed that you and your son have decided not to attend.

Now if you want a ceremony at your convenience, say the next pack meeting, YOU do all the work. Make sure your ceremony meets your expectations. The only exceptions that Committee will consider are medical or family emergency..." Good luck getting the Web2's to return for a second ceremony.

Seems harsh...but this is nonsense we don't need.

I agree with others that you cannot accommodate all families' schedules all the time and I don't think you are under an obligation to do contortions to try either. Bottom line: don't let one parent push you past tolerance or dictate the plans of the whole group for his convenience!

AOL is very important and the boy should be recognized. That given however, since it is not viewed as important as another event, the Pack should only be expected to make reasonable accomodations. I would suggest that a) the boy receive it at the first Pack meeting AFTER the others have received their AOL and b) that it simply be presented as an award without too much cerimony since they had their chance at the big cerimory and it is a lot of work to put it together again.

I want to thank everyone for the advice.

Our committee meeting is tonight. Unfortunatley, the parents who started the whole kerfluffle aren't going to attend even though they were personally invited several times.

But we'll be discussing our options and will hopefully come to a conclusion that is amenable to all.

I especially liked the idea of doing the crossover and AOL for the scout at the next Court of Honor. It will be within the next month and we're using our own OA guys to do the AOL ceremony so they can redo it for him.

Thanks again.

To misquote one of the scouter.com guys "I love this scouting stuff...sometimes."