I just wanted to put this question to everyone. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster and have been for a few years now. I have earned the Leaders Training Award but that seems to be the only regognition for ASM's. The Scoutmasters key is only available to SM's. Cub Scouting has the DL award and it seems to me that there should be some type of earned award for the ASM. We have a great SM and I wouldn't think of displacing him so that I or other ASM's could earn the award. I believe the ASM position to be worthy of a separate award and my SM agrees. Of course Scouter award is available for various district positions but it seems to be the same award for all of these positions. The Scoutmaster award of Merit is another award only for the SM. What do you think? I don't think any SM would want to have his job without the dedicated ASM's on his staff.

Your district could use your help. If ypou are an experienced ASM, let your knowledge help other troops needing assistance. Yes working with the scouts is the most important, but the program needs help on all levels. The reason scouting has a strong program is the scouters working throuthout the BSA.

Agree, moving every 3-4 years, I fall into that boat quite often, after 20+yrs, I don't have it. I've come to accept it. I've had and worked with some great SM that have in position for a long time too without a thought of moving them. All I can say is we have to be patient and those knots don't make the scouter. I've seen "knot chasers" and most were there for themselves and not the scouts or program.