Wolves on a 5 mile urban hike?

I'm thinking of taking my Wolf den on a 5 mile hike this spring, or mayhe early summer (of course they'd be Bears at that point). Our council has a 5 mile hike along the Ohio River that includes parts of Cincinnati, Ohio and Newport and Covington, KY. There's a guide with reference material and points of interest along the way. And of course there's a special patch you can purchase if you do the hike.

I'm pretty sure the boys can handle it if we plan lots of time and rest stops, but I'm not sure about the parents. I don't need or expect all of the parents to participate, but they have to be willing to let the scouts go!

I came across the info on the Council website the other day. I've had a look at the map, and am contemplating how to draw the boys in to see it as adventure and to get the adults to have faith that their boys are able to meet the challenge. I don't have parents that are overly protective, but do think that if I just announced a 5 mile hike that I and my son would be the only ones to show up.

People today think that five miles a looooooong way. Figure that you'll probably do about 2 miles per hour. So don't say that you'll be doing FIVE MILES, say that you'll be walking around Cincinnatti for about 2 1/2 hours.

Make sure that everyone has water, enen in the cold you can get dehyrated. Also have a plan for a snack or lunch.

Encourage proper dress for the weather. I know that many kids today have no idea of how to dress warmly and their parents say, "I have bigger battles to fight." Having someone get chilled to the bone won't do anyone any favors. Sweatshirt, windbreaker, knit hat, and gloves are probably essential.

Be sure to rein in the parents who just want to "get there as quickly as possible." This is for the boys and boys like to look around. Let them stop and look over the side of the bridge. If there are interesting birds, stop and look. Etc.

This sounds like it might be a lot of fun, but it may also be a good idea to have a couple of bail-out points along your route in case there are boys who aren't up to the whole five miles. While I'll agree that 5 miles really isn't all that much, reality is that most kids these days probably are not used to walking even a couple of miles. And I know the last time I went on a 5 mile hike with some of our eager young boy scouts, several of them felt that they were "done" around the 3 mile marker. And they were three years older than the kids you are describing. So go for it! But plan for how you'll handle kids who are not able/willing to finish, without causing them or you too much unhappiness.

I used to be able to walk to the grocery store where I used to live. When my son was in kindergarten, he'd claim that he was pooped out before we had gone a block. Strangely, he could run around like an idiot for three hours straight not run out of energy.

Bail outs are best saved for medical emergencies. Hypothermia. Bleeding feet. A meterorite hitting a Scout.

If you let them bail out just because they are "pooped" they'll never find out what they can do.

While to some extent I understand where you're coming from GW, remember that we are talking about 7-8 year olds (2nd graders)and not about boy scouts. And if they have a horrible experience they may never want to go hiking anywhere again. KISMIF needs to be a guiding principle when working with cubs. I think Ana should encourage her scouts to do the whole hike! But reality is that some of them just might not be ready for that and better to have planned for that in advance, than to discover it half-way through when there is no way to deal with it except to drag them on anyway, whining and crying the rest of the day.

I know the area where she'll be hiking and there are plenty of opportunities for bail out. This side of the street, that side of the street. This park, that park. The McDonalds's. Burger King.

Kids can walk all day long at Disney World, it is just a matter of them being interested in what they are doing.

The first hike my son and I did together turned out to be a 5 mile hike up to the top of a mountain at The Cove in Virginia. He was a Tiger at the time and actually rode on my shoulders for about half of the hike.

Curiously he decided that he didn't really care for hiking that much, but we've hiked on every Pack overnighter since. He's hiked the Snavely Ford Trail at Antietam, the Fort Frederick Trail in Big Pool, MD and several nature hike trails at our local camping spot in Berkeley County. He's probably coming up on 15 miles total so far, not bad for a non-hiking Wolf. 8^)

As GW says, keep 'em interested in what's going on and challenge them to do more on each hike. Getting a cool patch for completing the hike is pretty nice too and I like the idea from that Pack in a recent issue of Scouting mag -- present the boys with a nice hiking staff after going 50(?) miles.

My .02.

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council

Ditto all the above. They can do it if :

1) It is interesting along the way (Salamanders, bridge, history, waterfalls, old boats, etc.

2) Not too much up hill.

3) Dressed for it.

4) Praised all along the way.

5) Can you get some big brother Boy Scouts to come along?

6) Maybe do a shorter one (2or 3 miles?) a week or two before to "warm up?

7) Any parents along for the trip need to be in the same spirit. If THEY aren't dressed for it, the boy won't be either.

8) Have a warm place to meet it at the end for cocoa or pizza.

9) Plan your "expedition" with proper bravado. Day packs with a snack, a water jug or canteen and ? Binoculars? Camera? Maps?

KiS MiF YiS

An idea we picked up was when one kid starts lagging behind, make him the hike leader. He'll pick up the pace.

Be sure to tell parents that no griping by them is allowed. Make it exciting and they'll move along well and not even realize how far they've gone. A two mile pre-hike is a good idea too.

• 2 weeks later...

From my old house to the pool was a little over a mile. After a day of swimming, we'd walk home in less than half an hour.

As a middle aged, overweight guy, I can easily do 2 miles per hour with a 50 lb pack.

Unless these kids do nothing but eat potato chips and play video games they should be able to do 2 mph . . . Of course, we're talking about today's kids. I withdraw my statements.

It's not a matter of fitness, it's a matter of attentiveness. The kids won't continuously walk. They'll stop and smell the roses, look at the grass, chase the frog, whatever distraction there will is, they'll stop for it. Not that it's a bad thing, they should explore their surroundings on the hike. The callenge will be keeping them going for the full five miles.

Heck, there are some first year scouts in my son's troop that struggle to reach a 2 mph pace... and I'm talking a day hike with only daypacks and water bottles. It's not a matter of fitness with them either.

Oh look at that stick! Hey SPL, will you get Johnny back on the trail please.(This message has been edited by MarkS)