Competition Between Packs

Our town has two packs, the other pack split off of ours something like 20 years ago, I''m not quite sure how long, other than longer than anyone else who is still around in either group.

Cooperation between the packs has waxed and waned. Over the last couple of years, the CC and CM (a husband and wife team) of the other pack were rather competitive, and relations between the packs were not great. Well, they moved on last year when their youngest son moved on to Boy Scouts (about the same time I became CM), and they have a new CC and CM.

Over the last year and a half, our CC has really been trying to build bridges with the other CC to have more cooperation between the packs.

We''ve been doing a joint open house for as long as I''ve been with the pack, but it has not always been "cooperative". We really thought that this year, we were going to have that, a partner who would help promote CUB SCOUTS, rather than their own pack.

Well, last night was the open house. The other pack''s CC hovered by the door, jumping on anyone who walked in and totally monopolized all conversation. She continually presented the with her pack roster and asked parents if there were any boys on it that their son might like to be with, because it was better for them to be with friends. Our roster (which we only had one copy of to their 6 or 7), was referred to in afterward if no friend was found on their roster.

At the end of the evening, we sat down with the signups to divide up the interested parties. The other CC already had 3 applications from boys who put down a preference for their pack, but there were enough other boys that we were able to settle on equal sized dens for each pack.

But then this morning, the other CC sends our CC an email saying that she "promised to follow up" with some of the families that were assigned to our pack and she was going to call them and send them their schedule (which they didn''t have any of at the open house), and that it would then be "up to us to pursuade them to stick with our pack".

Now, am I being biased here that I think this behavior sends up a foul flag? Both our CC and myself have already sent these families a welcoming email (or phone call) this morning, but now the other CC is going to contact them and continue advocating for her pack, to try to lure them away?

There have also been some issues already with popcorn show and sells around town. Our Kernel sent out email to try to coordinate with them about locations and times for show and sells. When she got no reply, she scheduled our show and sells (at different places around town, so we certainly are not monopolizing any one location), and send an email with our schedule to the other pack. Only, come to find out this past Sunday that they had double booked selling at the same hardware store as us (the hardware store evidently assumed we were together on this).

It just seems like while they are talking about cooperation (and the other CC commented last night about how nice it was that we "balanced" out the groups), they are then turning around and making this whole thing a competition again. Our CC is a wonderfully diplomatic person, and is handling the situation well, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.(This message has been edited by DanKroh)

It is sad that Scouting has gotten so far off track in these areas ...

Yes, I agree the other pack leader went to far. Now here is how we look at it here... where does the pack meet, where do those scouts attend school ... that school is that packs ... it is wrong of another unit to tread on to your turf. Now I will admit not even all the units here follow that unwritten courtesy rule. Is that the only school and both units work with Scouts out of then it comes tricker. If that is the case I would say the school or who ever should have keep the 2 packs apart so they were not in competition with each other and could each make there own pitch.

I guess I am not making any clear points, so I will end here and see what others say ....

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

To answer your question, we only have one elementary school in town. The town is fairly small, so we have never divided it up geographically or any other way. There is no "turf". We have always had a joint open house, and divide up the scouts evenly at the end of the evening, although if the boy has a preference (because of friends or whatever reason), we respect that preference.

Well first, I don''t think it would hurt to have an open conversation with this CC and let her know how you have perceived her behavior. Do this face to face over some coffee, not by email where things can be so easily misconstrued. And focus on your desire to build bridges, not on your annoyance that she''s stealing your cubs. Not that I think this is guaranteed to work, but maybe.

And then if it doesn''t work, ok then focus on your own pack. Politely decline opportunities to do future events with this other pack. Definitely don''t do round up together next time!

You have few options then. The first thing I suggest as did LisaBob, try talking to the leader(s) of the other pack. You may want to involve your Unit Commissioner of District Executive. They should be able to help.

If the town is that small, and only has one school, then I don''t think trying to zone it out into turf''s will work.

How big are the two packs, are they both pretty small? (if both are small maybe they need to be merged together, not enough potential boys to properly feed both packs)

What are the good and the bad about each pack? (answer this one yourself may help you find a way to find middle ground)

Hope my wacky ramblings are of help..

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

We always had a joint open house and then the parents signed their son up to which ever pack best fit their needs.

One had pack meetings on Saturday afternoons and the other one evening during the week.

We suggested they pick based on where their son''s friends were if that were an issue or on which meeting schedule better fit their needs.

That seemed to work pretty well and we never had a problem if a boy later wanted to switch for some reason.