Wolf scouts and knifes

Yes - Once they have earned their "Whittlin' Chip".

Many folks wait until the Bear year to earn their Whittlin' Chip because it is a part of Shavings & Chips in the Bear Handbook, but it can be earned by any Cub level except Tiger.

There's a thread on this topic in 2005, if you want to search the archives. ScoutNut is correct - the evidence strongly indicates that Wolf Cub Scouts are not banned by the BSA from using knives. A pack can make more restrictive safety rules, though, and our pack, for example, did not want to encourage Wolf Scouts to use knives. We always did it as part of the Bear accomplishments. I did have a parent ask once, and I explained the rationale, and she happily agreed to wait a year.

Oak Tree

Please also be aware that your CO or meeting place may have restrictions on the use of knives. For example back when I was WDL with a pack no one could have a pocket knife st any meeting not even the adults. We met in a local elementary school cafeteria and knives were forbidden. We had to do whittling chip instruction on campouts or other away from the school meetings.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I liked the idea of linking knife usage to Bear, so that the scout is a little older (and hopefully more responsible).

Although my Step-son just got his Wolf, he's been asking all year when he would be allowed to have a knife. However, I like him having 10 fingers; so I have been deftly dodging the issue.

I think I would go a step further and only suggest locking blades for younger kids, though. They mess around opening & closing a sharp knife such as a std-issue pocketknife, and something's eventually gonna happen. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to what was said above...and I would also like to add one more thing to this mix.

I know things were very different from when I came up as a scout and today. It seems that many parents are very protective of our kids and some are even a bit over protective.

My son is starting 2nd grade and will be a Wolf this year. He truly loves scouting and loves to go camping and on the many outdoor events. In all of these events, there is often a need to use a knife. And though I dont let him carry one I would rather he know the proper safety techniques and how to act around a knife. The whittling chip teaches the scouts much of this information.

Some in our pack have said that they dont want their kids using knives but seem to not have a problem when they swing sticks at others, or run through campsites, or .

Kids are going to be curious. I want mine to know the right way to act when he comes across a knife on a campout or at home or if a classmate brings one to school.

My son was a tiger last year and I taught him everything about using a knife and how to sharpen it. He is now a wolf and very responsible with a knife. I do not allow my son to have his knife in scouting because I do not want him to make the other boys jealous. Next year I will go over the whittling chip with the boys and at that point leave it up to the boy's parents if they think their son is responsible enough to carry a knife.

I know your answer has been answered already but yes they can carry a knife.

one more thing.......

I follow the four corner deal of the whittling chip like a religion. If they do something with a pocket knife that they know is WRONG and they are intentionally doing it,(example: throwing it at a tree and trying to get it to stick) I will revoke their whittling chip and confiscate their knife on the first offense.

this is pretty much the geest of it:

In return for the privilege of carrying a pocketknife to designated Cub Scout functions, I agree to the following:

1. I will treat my pocketknife with the respect due a useful tool.

2. I will always close my pocketknife and put it away when not in use.

3. I will not use my pocketknife when it might injure someone near me.

4. I promise never to throw my pocketknife for any reason.

5. I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at all times.

I would suggest teaching the Whittling Chip in a den setting. A smaller group makes it easier to supervise the Scouts safely. Sometimes a Day camp will have a session, which is a good introduction/reinforcement.

At one time, men (and some women - like my mom) carried a pocketknife as a matter of course. It was an essential personal tool. That's no longer the case, and many of us don't use a pocketknife as part of our daily lives. This, I think, has contributed to the caution many parents have about letting their sons use a pocketknife.

It also means that many of us are not confident in teaching knife safety and knife skills. In response, some leaders have created knife safety courses that you can find on the Internet. Here are some links:

http://www.crossroadsbsa.org/pathfinder/ptc/whittlinchip.htm

http://www.macscouter.com/CubScouts/PowWow04/classes/knives.doc