Frankly, there's not a lot to teach, aside from the components of fitness and nutrition. The bulk of the badge work is the initial, interim, and final fitness testing, and the 12-week personal exercise program that each Scout must develop, follow, and complete. Importantly, the requirements don't prescribe group workouts and testing (in fact, you shouldn't do it that way in my opinion). Since each Scout will develop a program that will optimize his own strength, flexibility, and endurance, they're generally best pursued individually or as buddies, particularly the 2-week tests.

Whoever your counselor is, I'd recommend they arrange the initial requirements, then closely monitor each Scout's exercise program. The worksheets at MeritBadge.com are pretty good for doing that.

I think this is a good time of year to start the 12-week program. My son did his beginning in October, and the 12 weeks turned into 19. His exercise program was dependent on outdoor running for the aerobic endurance, and he had a number of "weather cancels"...live and learn!