Den Meeting help

Hi there, everyone! I am a Tiger Cub Den Leader. Fun little guys. We have just 3 total (we have only been a Pack since October). Anyway, the past month, I have only had one of the other boys, besides my own son, coming to the den meetings. It is because of either sickness, or another activity, etc. Just a crazy time of year for everyone.

I plan my den meetings in advance. But it is becoming boring! I try to use the Cub Scout Program Helps, but a lot of the activities, we need lots more scouts/adult partners to make the activities work.

Any ideas! Last night, using an idea from roundtable, we made Tornados in a bottle. My sample on worked great. One other one did well, and one just leaked really badly, even after trying it again. We talked about what "Do Your Best" means (that you try your hardest, but it still may not always work out the way you want it to).

I just need some ideas, folks! How do I deal with such a small group and keep it fun month after month?

It can be hard with only 3 Tiger Teams, but at least with everyone there you have 6 people which is a good number for activities!

Get the other 2 Tiger Teams involved in planning some meetings too. That is part of Shared Leadership for Tigers. If they are running the meeting they are more likely to show up!

Have the boys all finished their Tiger Rank Award? If not, you can work on some of those at your meetings. There are a lot of fun electives that will work with a small group too.

Outings are fun, can cover lots of requirements or electives & the families will be more likely to attend. Use your local resources like grocery stores, zoo, museums, nature centers, hiking trails, bike trails, train stations, banks, recycling center, newspaper, bakery, animal rescue, radio station, bike shop, etc. Actually having a small group could be better for tours.

Use your den meetings to plan for your part in your Pack meetings. This month my Pack is doing a Showtime theme. My Tiger Teams are working on their skits. Next month is our Cardboard Boxcar relay race. We will be using most of our Den meetings to build our cardboard vehicle.

Spring is actually trying to appear. Go hike thru a local park & pick up litter. Make bird feeders & hang them outside. Make homemade kites & fly them.

With so much to do, there is no reason for boring meetings!

Our Pack started the year with 3 Tigers and lost one (custody issues). Occassionally there are times where its just the Den Leader (who doesn't have a Tiger of her own) and one Tiger pair. They still have fun, work on an activity and make headway on advancement. One will be getting his Tiger next week at our delayed B&G, the other will probably be about a month after that. One thing this group does is get the "whole" family involved - they are small enough that the sisters of each can participate too. Also - they will sometimes do things jointly, with our equally small Wolf den...that adds variety for everybody.

YMMV

YiS

Michelle