Who Handles New Scout Applications?

Who collects forms at JSN? Who checks them for accuracy and chases down parents who haven't paid when district is breathing down your neck to have them in? Who hands them into council? Who keeps the unit copy of the form? Who handles any new scouts that come in later? Who handles rechartering in your pack? Does anyone have a rule book (or cheat sheet) for membership chair and advancement chair? If a pack has both has anyone had success with both using Packmaster?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Carole

Hi Carole,

In our pack, we always had a membership chair, who was generally also the round-up chair. It was that person's job to do the paper chase regarding new scout applications. In our pack that person also was in charge of re-chartering since they had all of the membership info. But I know some packs have their committee chair do the rechartering. As for dues, we had a treasurer who would send out notes to parents who hadn't yet paid. That was usually effective enough.

Beyond what's in the cub scout leader handbook regarding committees, I don't think there are (or need to be) rule books for membership and advancement chairs. It does help to be organized and keep good records for both positions of course. Are you looking for ideas for addressing a specific situation or concern? Maybe if you give a bit of detail people can offer you some suggestions.

As for packmaster - we didn't use it so I can't answer that one, sorry. However, my son's troop uses troopmaster. Our membership person has control over the "master" version of troopmaster and the advancement person sends her emails with updates as needed. Most of the time it seems to work ok.

best,

Lisa'bob

Who collects forms at JSN? 

Any adult leader present and then forwards to our Cubmaster. 

Who checks them for accuracy and chases down parents who haven't paid when district is breathing down your neck to have them in?

Cubmaster or ACM

Who hands them into council?

Cubmaster or ACM

Who keeps the unit copy of the form?

Cubmaster

Who handles any new scouts that come in later?

Den Leaders typically handle the application process and turn them in to the Cubmaster.

Who handles rechartering in your pack?

Committee Chair, Cubmaster, and COR

Does anyone have a rule book (or cheat sheet) for membership chair and advancement chair?

Nope.  The Cub Scout Leader Handbook is used as our guide. 

If a pack has both has anyone had success with both using Packmaster?

Yes.  Our Cubmaster uses it religiously and it's a tremendous administrative time-saver.  I'm currently an ACM and I will be using it to take some admin duties off of our CM. 

• 2 weeks later...

We use the membership and registration chair to handle the paperwork for applications and works in coordination with the cubmaster for den assignments. The MRC also coorinates with the treasurer with payments. We have the MRC hold the unit copies and keep a spread sheet w/active and non-active members. The MRC also works w/committee chair and treasurer in coordination w/recharter. MRC does follow-up calls on inactive members. Good idea to have a backup MRC to train for the future.

Go to BSA website and click the cubscout box for adult leaders and go into committee duties.

Our Advancement Chair/Registrar handles all applicaitons. She checks for accuracy and collects fees. She then coordinates with the Cubmaster and Committee Chair for signatures on scout forms and the Committee chair and COR for adult leaders. She then turns money into the treasurer and gets a single registration check from him. She also logs all new members into Packmaster. Then anyone going to the Council can drop the package off.

The Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmaster coordinates den assignments with current den leaders and works with the Committee Chair on the formation of new dens. The CC, CM and AC work together with new den leaders. The CC works with new leaders who don't want to work specifically with a den.

We find that having one person handle registration is the most efficient and leads to the fewest errors. This is whether the new members are from a big recruitment or a new scout off the street. I don't recommend having the Cubsmaster or Assistant Cubmaster do this as they should focus on Pack Meetings, den meetings and den leader communication. If your pack is large enought this function should be left to a committee member.