First year Webelos

I know its only July but being the compulsive planner that I am, I have already started on my plans for the Fall. I'll be doing the Web I den (all 2 of them) this fall. We have no Web II's.

I want to get these guys outside and doing outdoors things while the Maine weather permits. Looking at the required pins for Webelos and AoL (a little different from when Nephew was a Web 2 years ago) I find that only one is an outdoor one. Would you start off the Web I year with Outdoorsman (required for AoL) or would you hold it until next spring? If our council does a Webeloree again than Outdoorsman will be no question. I could do Geology or Forestry with them in the fall if Outdoorsman has been found to be too difficult for Web I's.

Fitness and Citizen I will do w/ them when the days are too cold and drives us inside. I don't want to lose nice days doing things that are easily fitted to the indoors.

Thanks for your input....feedback is always welcome.

YiS

Michelle

Msnowman,

Have you taken Outdoor Webelos Leader Training or the new equivalent? I ask this only because that training addresses the outdoor pins you refer to. I think easing the boys into the camping and outdoor aspect is the best course. Yes the AOL is the goal but use the entire 20 months of program to get there. You say it's only July, as a Webelos to Scout transition coordinator I see it as it's already July. These boys became Webelos 1s June 1st. They could be getting their Webelos Badge at the September Pack Meeting but most packs don't work on advancement over the summer. I'd focus on the Webelos badge and getting a solid relationship with a local troop established. Use a scout or better yet a den chief to work on the oath, law and outdoor code. Next spring is early enough to start camping unless these boys have camping experience. Maine is a great place to work on Forester and Naturalist at anytime. Involve the boys in planning decisions and scheduling, in 20 months they will be making all the decisions. Help them ease into the boy run mind set.

LongHaul

No Long, I haven't taken OWLT.

I do have a Den Chief (Nephew is staying w/ this group after having Den Chiefed for them as Bears last year). Our Pack has a much better relationship with its brother Troop than it did a couple years ago (we grew our own Den Chiefs, there's a new SM, etc). I've talked w/ the SM about coming to visit our guys and maybe help w/ the Fitness pin (he's a MB for Personal Fitness so I didn't think it would be a huge stretch for him)...all with an eye to strengthening that Pack/Troop relationship. This Troop is far more active now than it has been also. Our Den Chief is really excited for September to come because "I know this stuff and can do a lot". He wants to plan for them to visit "his" troop shortly after school starts. (As a side question - is there any reason not to encourage Den visits to the Troop if the Troop activity is something that might interest them? In other words, not visiting during Troop elections, etc).

Thanks for the input

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I think I'd spread the outdoorsman badge out a bit, work on some parts now, some later. I think I'd want to make sure the boys have some basic outdoor skills and comfort level before doing a lot of camping. For example maybe you want to start the boys learning about fire safety and do an evening campfire in late summer/early fall while the weather is likely to still be good. You could, if you chose, work in some fairly simple (and tasty) dutch oven cooking like a cobbler or something too. Your nephew Den Chief may be able to provide some tasty suggestions here. This could serve as a step toward helping cook an outdoor meal (option #8 I think) and get them to start seeing camp cooking as fun.

Ask each boy to invite a friend too - I've never met a boy who didn't enjoy a campfire and dessert - and maybe before you know it you'll have 4 webelos.

If you're thinking about doing some hiking, we did a "scat hike" with our boys and a local park ranger early in their W I year - something the boys thoroughly enjoyed; even those who thought hiking was sure to be a bore. (and as a benefit, they learned a few things about wildlife, hiking, and LNT in the process)

Another thought - if they didn't get their whittling chips as bears, that would be a good one to do - outdoors - this fall, if parents are ok w/ it and you think the boys are responsible enough to be using pocket knives. This is one thing I wish we'd done a little more of when we were DLs because some of our boys were a little too afraid of knives once they joined boy scouts, to the point of making it difficult for them to advance to 2nd cl. Caution is in order of course but irrational fear based on ignorance isn't good either.

But yeah, you have some luxuries here. 18 months, just two boys (for now - I bet you get more). See what they think sounds like fun.

Ah I loved being a webelos DL! Have fun and tell us all about it.

Lisa'bob

By the way if you're looking for other activity pins that could be worked on outdoors, consider the naturalist and the sportsman. With just 2 boys you really couldn't pull off the team sports aspect in your den but you could play some individual outdoor sports, which fit into requirement 3.

Or check out the Outdoor Activities Award requirements, or do a conservation project toward the World Conservation Award. Or check out the BSA's national historic trail program in your area (assuming you think your boys would have any interest and that this is somewhere near you)

Colonial Ramblings (Maine National Historic Trail)

RFD 2, Box 12A

71 York Street

York, ME 03909

Call: 207-363-4803

Or just do fun outdoor activities! I know you know that not everything has to be linked to advancement!

Lisa'bob

Michelle,

No, I can't think of any reason not to visit a Troop. The more the Den rubs elbows with the Troop the more at home they will feel and hopfully they will get a sense that this troop actually is waiting for them and not just willing to take them in.

As for Nephew, don't forget to have him change his Den Chief cord to Webelos Den Chief and as he has served the Pack for one year be sure to have him look over the Den Chief Service Award. He can wear that braid even after he stops being a den chief. IMO I don't see enough of them being worn when I see groups of scouts in dress uniform.

LongHaul

I've been a Webelos Leader twice (2 sons). One thing you might want to do is to get the boys together in the summer for some of these things, rather than wait until fall. The daylight and warm weather goes away quickly, I've found.

In addition to those "outdoor badges" already mentioned here are two others to consider because they both can can be done in one session of about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, which gives the boys immediate gratification of earning a Webelos activity pin right away.

Aquanaut: Great badge to do in the summer. You could do it at an outdoor pool.

Handyman: With both my sons dens, I did this badge outside at one of the first meetings of the school year. Had a couple of dads bring their cars to the meeting and had them do the requirements like check the oil, change the tire, with the boys. The Webelos brought their bikes and some boy scouts came and helped them do the requirements that involved bikes. We did these requirements in "stations".

You may want to mention to them that they could do a lot of the "Traveler" pin requirements during summer vacation as they go on trips and outings.

JO

Thanks to everybody for the great suggestions. I think I will start w/ Outdoorsman, especially if Council does their Webeloree like they did last year. However, I also think I'll spread it out a little more, into bite sized pieces, probably letting Nephew decide what parts he wants to work on w/ them.

Also - Long - Nephew has his Webelos DC Cord. After he bridged "his boys" over, helping w/ hats and neckerchiefs, I then bridged him over, changing his cord from CS DC to Web. Also - he only has to wait til Sept for his DC award, he has done everything else...including staffing day camp this summer. He is wicked excited.

YiS

Michelle