Has any Lifesaving MB couselor ever seen a written statement clarifying the requirement to swim continous 400 yards.

Common sense and experience say that there is a substantial difference between swimming 400 yards and turning and pushing off a wall in a pool and swimming 400 yards without touching the wall (circluar) or open water.

I know how it is done at camps and I know how I have seen it done and done, but have never seen anything in writing.

Just trying to be consistent and fair.

JPS

In 25+ years as a Leader and 6-8 years as a Scout I don't recall any explicit comments on this subject. I know what you are talking about as far as there being a big difference between 400yds in a pool and 400yds in open water. I did my Mile Swim in a Corp of Engineers lake and the depth of the water was probably 30-50ft. If BSA got to detailed on the Open Water vs Pool it might knock some people out of getting the badge. Personally I don't see that it is that big of a deal in a pool if the Aquatic Staff is watching to make sure they don't cheat and touch bottom.