purposes of Cub Scouting

John-in-KC.

I'm glad you brought up the use of Den Chiefs. It is, unfortunately, an overlooked resource. At least it is in our District.

For a Scout, being a Den Chief and working with other adults and with younger boys, can be the most rewarding and educational experience for a Scout. My oldest son served as a Webelos Den Chief for 2 years. He still talks about it now as the best POR he had (and he held them all over the years).

Youngest son has just signed on as a Den Chief for a new Pack. We were invited to their Blue and Gold last night in the hopes that we could meet their one Webelos Scout and talk to him about visiting our Troop. Unfortunately, he was not there. But, youngest son got to play the big Boy Scout and lead a few games for the younger guys after the B&G was over and the adults were chatting. Couple of those Cub Scouts sure were impressed with all his merit badges too.

So, youngest son asked the Cubmaster who he needed to talk to be be a Den Chief. CM directed him to a DL and youngest starts next Monday. On the ride home from teh B&G he asked if I still had any of my resource books from when I was a DL and Cubmaster. Gotta love that enthusiasm!

To me, the Den Chief fits so perfectly in both worlds. Helps the Den Leader and gives the Cub Scouts an example of what being a Boy Scout is all about. Helps the Scouts by giving him a sense of responsibility and leadership in working with the Cubs.

Our pack advertises School Night for Scouting for cubs, but I've never seen a bulletin notice or school announcement for when, where, and how to join the troop. My older son has been in the troop a year, and I've never heard of a "bring a friend night". Is it just our troop that's this way?

If I were running the troop, I would want to try hard to recruit 6th graders. That seems to me the ideal time to join Boy Scouts, if you haven't been in Cub Scouts, or dropped out before crossing over. Every year we get a few 5th graders who are interested in joining Cub Scouts. This rarely works out for them, because they're too far behind the other Webelos. (We have an exception this year, who's going to receive the Arrow of Light next month.) These boys might be better off starting Boy Scouts a year later, if only someone would invite them.

This actually was a timely thread. Last night, I sat two Boards of Review for Star---> Life. A common answer of the "what can we do to change?" question to both young men was "we don't have young Scouts." This led to a discussion of how they could help the recruiting effort, by serving in a Pack as Den Chief, by serving Cub Day Camp as J-Staff, and by inviting their peers to join.

Along the way: Middle Schoolers and 9th/10th graders seem to be busier in the schoolhouse today than I was 30-odd years ago. Scoutmasters may have to plan allowances for a Den Chief operating somewhat independently of the Troop; making sure the SPL and the Scribe keep him in the loop. Just because WE GROWNUPS can have multiple "one hours a week" DOES NOT MEAN we can impose that on our youth.

Another along the way comment: The "feeder relationship" implies symbiosis: The Troop has to furnish program support (within reasonably coordinated limits) to the Pack. When the Pack is getting support, their leaders should reasonably then encourage due migration to the Troop.