OK i am going to show my age is to how young I am on this one. I actually remember when the Daisy program was introduced to Girl Scouts. I was a Senior Scout and I remember that we went to help out a new Daisy troop. I do not think that the Cub Scouts can pull off this program. In Girl Scouts our troops were seperated by age and we did not have a monthly meeting where there was a wide range of ages. The only time there was that many ages together was at day camp.

As it is in our Pack, our Tiger parents do not even show up half the time so I do not see them staying for 2 years. At day camp last year, our district pulled off its very first one, we only had 20 boys and we split them up into 2 groups with various ages. In my group I had 1 WebelosI and he ended up helping the younger ones most of the time. The other half of the time he kept telling my how cheesy most of the activities were. He actually enjoyed helping the younger ones more than anything else.

Both my brother and I spent years in scouting. I started as a Brownie and I fiished everything except my Gold Award.(for those who do not know anything about Girl Scouts, that is the highest award at the time.) My brother started CubScouts at the beginning (I can not remember the starting rank back then) and finished everything except his Eagle Scout project. We both got burned out towards the end and to add to that we also had many other activities going on. I started my son as a WebelosI mainly so he would not get so burned out in the end. Also because the two years I tried to join him before that I never recieved a response from the council office as to where we go. If they want to up the recruitment numbers so much then they need to stress that everyone who calls them inquiring about joining should be called back. I am still having that problem with some of the Boy Scout Troops I have contacted about visiting their troop with our WebelosII. No one bothers to call me back.

Now if they do decide to implement the Lion cub program, could they consider having the WebelosII come in and help t=like the den cheifs do? I know my son loves to help out the younger ones when he can. There was one incident when the Webelos leader got frustrated with the boys and sent them home. My son and another WebelosII, who did not get in trouble like the other ones did, wanted to stay and help the younger dens. They were told to leave immediatly by their leader and IMO that was not the way to handle it. She admitted to me that my son and the other boy did not do anything wrong and the leaders of the other 2 dens wanted them to stay and help. My point is that these boys maybe Cub Scouts still, but they are still mature enough to help out the younger ones.

Ya'll were talking eailer about it being like babysitting. That reminded me of when I first started volunteering, I was told that most parents think BSA stands for "Babysitters of America". Some Packs have a serious problem with lack of parental involvement and IMO it does not need to be made worse by adding another age group to the whole thing.

I do like the idea of having the Lion cubs come back, but making it the first year Webelos. In my experience it was very hard for a new leader to run a den with 2 age groups and having the older ones ready for Boy Scouts by the end of the year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniffs,

Ideally, you should have a Webelos I and a Webelos II den leader....not one person doing both. One group of boys is at the beginning of the trail and the other group is at the end. If you cater to the I's, the II's will be repeating what they did a year ago and grow very bored very fast. If you cater to the II's, you are getting the cart before the horse for the I's. One den leader for both groups does no one justice.

Your right that is how it should be, but last year when we first started I was the only english speaking parent who volunteered for that age group. I was told if I do not do it then they would not have a Webelos den. This year the tiger cub leader from last year agreed to do it cause I am leaving. I know she is having a really hard time with it. This year they put the one bear that we had registered with the Webelos den. So she has 3 age groups to deal with at one time. My prayers are with her.

Oh come on! "LOIN CUBS" give me a break! Can't the thread author edit the title?

When I realized (at once) that it was about Lion Cubs, I thought "cool, something about the old Cub rank..."

But no, all this is about is a "Cub Day Care program".

This is nothing but a scheme for numbers, it will go the way of early Tigers. That is the reason for the full intergrating of Tigers into the Pack.