Pack Meeting Ideas needed for LARGE group

Any ideas on what to do at my first Pack Meeting that will include 130+ boys?

I'll have a few patches from Summertime activities. No den skits as they are just getting in gear so the ACM and I will probably do one, probably a run-on skit that requires a couple of shots to get through it. A game? For 130 boys?

Jerry

We just had our first Pack meeting Sunday night with about half that number of boys. After awards, I took the whole group outside to play Capture the Flag for about 1/2 hour, while the leadership talked to the parents. I divided them up so the Tiger Scouts were with the older Webelos, etc.

I do not think that the Tigers really knew what they were doing, but they had a great time running around with the other scouts. Capture the Flag is a great game for large groups and different ages.

When we came back in for snacks, the Webelos had a Power Point Presentation on a camping trip they took during the summer.

Vallium comes to mind...for you that is..cubbies need a stronger prescription!

capture the flag can be done with multiple teams (more than two) which makes it even crazier! (large field needed with no traffic "issues")

If you have the use of den chiefs they can run some "relays" indoors -if weather is a factor...Iceburg relay(two sheets of paper per team); Ball pass (over under); feather pass; bean bag balence races (on the head...no hands)...crab races...endless stuff. CANDY PRIZES are Fun!

Small snacks? Sing along (muffin man is lots of fun...it helps "break the ice" with the parents "brought in" un-expectedly)

soft rope= tug-o-war! Might ask some of your new WEBELOS IIs to bring in a couple of their pinewood cars set up a 'display' and "explain" the process to the new cubs and their parents...(each WebII should have 3 or 4 cars at home and it helps build excitement). Just be sure the display area is out of reach and off limits to the younger scouts (post a guard)...you don't want 'mishandled cars'(Webs have been known to cry, too)...

this can be used to give you time to have a business meeting with the parents...rope in new den leaders etc...

good luck

Anarchist(This message has been edited by anarchist)

We have about 90 boys in the Pack. All Pack meetings follow the same general format:

1. Opening ceremony (we parade in all the flags)

2. Pledge of Allegiance, Cub Scout Promise, Law of the Pack

3. Announcements

4. Awards

5. Entertainment

6. Closing ceremony (parade the flags back out)

The Entertainment part of the meeting varies, but is generally an interesting/entertaining/informative presentation of some sort. Our September meeting featured the Boston Museum of Science doing a presentation on "Fog, Flowers, and Fireworks". The boys loved it; and during that time the Cubmaster took all the parents outside to give them useful information about the Pack.

Other Entertainments have included the sheriff's office bringing in some of their "crime dogs"; EMTs bringing an ambulance; various science presentations; a TV weatherperson; storytellers; etc. Before the main entertainment we frequently have one or more Webelos den put on a skit. We also have a Pack Committee member whose job it is to come up with the monthly Entertainment.

A lot of these sorts of presentations are free; some cost $$. But that is one of the things that the Pack Fundraiser supports.

Overall, the boys have a blast. :)