I don't know where the post was I read about someone who had gone on a school trip and was concerend because BSA Youth Protection policies where not in place. They had asked "Where is your two deep leadership?" I chose not to respond because expecting non-scout groups to understand our precautions is unrealistic. We try to implement them when ever possible and to steer people in the right direction where we can. Well God decided to give me yet another wake up call. My youngest son is being graduated from high school at the end of the month and he dragged me kicking and screaming to yet another awards dinner last night. The only thing was I was the one getting the award. The kids from the Band, Orchestra, and Performing Arts group gave me a plaque for being "The Worlds Worst Chaperone". I have an older son so some of these kids have be seeing me on trips for eleven years. Several girls spoke about things I did that were special to them, one said" When you meet Mrs. A she would say 'Good Morning" Mrs. B would chime "Looks like it will be a fine day' but MR G could always be counted on to greet you with, (at this point the entire room errupted with an obviously rehearsed) "Where's your buddy?" They told about how every trip I had some new rule. "Other groups had fun, Mr. G's group had check-ins and role calls." "Mr G always had to know where you where and who you where with, it was like your own Dad was there!"> At the end a Mom presented me with a photo album of head and shoulder shots of kids from past and present with notes from each. This lady and I were on a trip to a major university over spring break one year. Our Preforming Arts group (mostly female) had been invited to participate in three days of competion/ workshops. I had taken polaroids of each kid and had them fill in height, weight , eye color etc. I passed it off as just another precaution. (Later I found out it did spur a discussion about being careful and not letting guards down) After the kids were gone the mom asked me if I thought pictures weren't a little much. I answered "Probably, I'm just so scared I had to do something." I explained that the only kids still on campus were those who lived to far away to go home, which was fine, and those who didn't have a home they wanted to go to and couldn't afford to be getting drunk in Florida. So we just brought about a thousand 16 and 17 year old females to campus. She looked at me and said "Boy you can really bring a person down." We both spent three days on pins. When this woman contacted her daughter, now married, for a current picture for the book the girl sent a picture of her new born twin girls with a caption which read. "You And Your Damn Buddy System!" I cried.

The kids notice when we care enough to worry.

Thanks for sharing that! The kids in my son's class have learned the "sign's up" routine from me (my son is the only Cub Scout in his classroom) and now his teacher is using it to get their attention!

It's so nice to hear that that kids appreciate your attention even though they want to rebel against you sometimes.

Congratulations.

What a great story!

In our area all school's use the signs up. Actual it is "hands up". The first thing they are taught in Kindergarten is that if you see an adult with their hand in the air, then up goes your hand and zip goes your mouth.

Thanks for sharing your memories. I like the young woman with the twins buddy system!