Are more Den meetings better?

Hey clydesdale, have a great time with your webelos. That was my favorite part of the cub program because there are so many opportunities and the boys are old enough to handle a lot more. My son crossed over a year ago. I'm finally beginning to feel a basic comfort/competence level with the troop side of things. But...back when my husband and I were WDLs (separately)...we usually had 2 regular meetings/month plus pack meeting and some kind of outing and that was plenty to cover all the AoL requirements plus doing lots of other "fun" stuff. So sure, you can do that.

Much as we tried to prep boys for transition to troop life, I know it was still a bit of a culture shock as SR540Beaver mentioned. Not only meeting every week but also how those meetings work in terms of the specific parts (pretty regimented in our troop at least: opening, patrol time, skill, game, closing - much of the time spent focusing on prepping for an upcoming campout or outing) and in terms of the boys running the whole thing with little adult intervention.

It is a lot more intense and in comparison, our webelos den meetings were more free form with a wider mix of activities at the den meetings. So whatever you can do to help your guys get ready for it, that's great. I'd really strongly recommend working as closely as you can with the troop over the next 18 months as your guys work through the webelos program.

Lisa'bob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic