Two Charters same Charter

It has come to my attention that our church may consider chartering another Boy Scout Troop. We just finished charting as a new Troop in March of this year. Our Troop has sixteen active and eighteen registured. I am concerned that if they charter another troop that not only will the new incoming scouts have to decide which troop they will want to join, but which troop will the chruch support the most? The church just charted a second Cub Scout pack because their charter location was not large enough. With the possibllity that the Cubmaster (of the new charter) will be chartering a new BSA troop as the Scoutmaster. It seems that the pastor's son is in the newly charted pack or re-located pack. How does something like this pan out over the long run. Will Troop xyz get the van when they need it and Troop ABC (the first troop) never gets it. Or the chruch gives greater support to the new Troop because the pastors son is a member and the older or first to charter troop strugles. If the church were larger and if there were noumouris amounts of boys trying to get into a troop I would not have a problem with this. Sounds like I need to get some stright up answers from my COR and DE. Could be they are not going to re-charter us next year and will go with the other. (BAS politics at work. We havent head anything up till this point. What tipped the whole matter off was the other pack was having a yard sale at our chartered church. Which is now their charted church. Our troop is gearing up for a big yard sale in the next two weeks after Mothers Day. Looks like everyone is going to be yard saled out after all of this. Who knows?

Abraiu

Couple of thoughts. Why didn't they merge the two Packs? What about letting the two Packs feed into the Troop. You have a great start with 18 Scouts but you probably have room for more? I think you need to have a chat with your COR.

Good Luck

Paul

It would make since to merge the two packs, as I said the pastor's son is in the other pack and so are a lot of other kids that go to the church. What I don't understand is how they got seperated form the pack where they go to church? Somebody has droped the ball.

Hi Abraiu,

Im confused (so what else is new), are you saying your church now charters two packs and a troop? That they started the second pack because the first got too big? How big was the first Pack? Wha leads you too believe they will start a second troop? How is your relationship with the church?

Bob

I will concur with ScouterPaul on this issue. It seems as if there would be no problems combining the two packs and only having one troop. Two troops is a more serious commitment than the pastor et. al. probably know.

As it seems or COR had gotton the wrong information. He was approched to charter another pack ....which had out grown their present location of a small church. Pack size about 80 cub scouts. The resident pack about the same size. The plans were to charter the other also. The new pack wanted a to charter because of information being given by someone who was NOT IN THE KNOW about chartering. They were speaking on behalf of the COR...thinking it was ok....WRONG! They told the other pack they could get the charter and if they had plans to start a troop that would be fine to do so there also.....WRONG!

Thank for all of your input fellow scouters the mess has been put to bed...one pack...one troop. Moral...two packs in a large chartered orgazation maybe ok...Two troops takes a whole lot of support. Make sure you make it clear to other "Meaning to be helpful people" that they know the proper channels.

Bobwhite...thankyou, I do have a good releationship with my COR. This is why every Scoutmaster or committee chair should have this. By the way our COR is not in the know about all of this and though it all sounded good. He is concerned with the chruch and figured the scouts could handle them selves.