What is the significance of the bearclaw/arrowhead necklaces?

My pack is getting ready to advance all the scouts up and I was wondering about the necklaces. The leaders before our group always gave them out at "crossover" and I was wondering what the protocol is, if any, and if there are certain ones that the cub should get. I would appreciate any info on this since I am the one who seems to be in charge of this task.

Thanks

I believe that I read on another forum that someone used these as part of a ceremony. Something like - in order to go to the next level the boy must go into a cave & wrestle a bear. He enters the cave, you hear much growling, see much shaking, & then the boy comes out with his new scarf & bear claws. I'm not sure what you would use for Wolf or Webelos. It seems to be a variation on the Cub-O-Matic ceremony.

I have also read about dens using the necklaces as a kind of personal den doodle. The boy gets a bear claw for his necklace in addition to an immediate recognition bead for his pocket totem. When he earns rank he gets arrowheads for each arrow point patch.

Talk to your advancement person or one of the old leaders. They might have a copy of the ceremony they used.

Friend4U, WELCOME!

Nothing official, just fun. Your Pack may have turned this into a local custom - giving it more value, as a tradition, than an actual "rule". It may be near and dear to some hearts so ask around within the Leadership that has been there for a couple of years.

jd