Lone Webelo

My son is the only Webelo 1 in our pack. He was meeting with the Webelos 2, but they all crossed over in March. My husband is his leader and has been having meetings with him at home. He recently was invited and attended a Webelos overnighter with another pack that we have friends at. He had a great time. We haven't been to concerned about it because he will be 10 1/2 in June and will have met all the requirements for his AOL by next month. My concern is for his AOL ceremony and crossover ceremony. I don't think as much emphasis will be put on his ceremonies being that he is the only one. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make his ceremonies really special being he is the lone Webelo in the pack?

Besides the fact that he is the Lone WebeloS (The S doesn't make it plural, it is the Scout part of WE'll BE LOyal Scouts), there is no reason he should be shortchanged on his crossover. Have you talked to your Pack leadership as well as the Troop? Maybe they have something they'd like to do for just him. It would seem to be that as a sole Webelos his ceremony will be able to be focused on just him, as opposed to having to split the time up amongst several boys.

Good luck to you and your son as he prepares to move forward.

Michelle

I was in a similar situation but I had two boys who were 'orphaned' in a Webelos II den when the leader moved away (I was the CM). I worked with their parents and the troop associated with the pack. I think all the leaders involved were sensitive to the situation and their AOL ceremony was just great. Leaders and boys from the pack AND the troop were there as well as parents and relatives. One of them recently made Eagle and the other made Life before going on to college. Great kids, I really miss them.