What can be done.

At a school concert tonight I ran into a Webelos parent whose son dropped out last year. We got to talking and I asked her why he dropped. She told me this is why:

Last year he was a 2nd year Webelos. When he was supposed to cross-over the committee chair decide he was not ready to cross. He had completed all of the requirements to the best of his ability (he has Aspberger's Syndrome) and did his camp at Butte Creek. The CC told her that she was not going to let him cross because he did not complete everything to "her" liking. The DL says he did everything and even fought to have him cross. She even lost her position for it.

Can the CC really do this? What can I do to get this young man his Arrow of Light Award?

No, the CC does not have that authority. Not only can the CC not stop the advancement but he or she has no authority on whether a not a boy crosses over.

Did the den leader turn in the advancment report with the scouts name on it for the AoL?

Did she keep a copy? Does he have his signed Handbook? Can you get the CC to say the same thing to you so that it is not second hand information?

Contact the local district executive and ask to meet with him or her and with the district advancement chairman. Explain the situation, present whatever paperwork you have. While this won't be fun it should not be difficult. The longer you wait the tougher it will be to fix.

The CC does not even enter into the discussion on this (I recently completed a tour as the CC of a local pack). Signing off on the requirements for a Cub Scout is up to the Akela, whether that is the parent or the Webelos leader. The CC may, for some reason, not agree, but they have no "veto" over a signed off requirement. If the Akela is satisfied that the Scout has met the requirement, then that's it. And, the CC CERTAINLY has nothing to say about whether a Scout is going to become a Boy Scout or not.

As Bob said, getting the Scout his advancements will probably require going through your local district and/or Council. If he had a Troop in mind, he can just go and join it; that shouldn't require any other intervention.

Just curious, but where did your CM sit on all this? Issues relating to Scouts usually are routed to the CM rather than the CC.

My son, who is currently Webelos 1, has Asperger's Syndrome. It is an often misunderstood and misinterpreted condition. Many adults, with all good intentions, see AS kids as weird, argumentative, troublesome, unorganized, and, well, the list goes on.

Though AS is recognized, well defined, and well documented, it is subtle enough that most adult will feel that AS child should not get special consideration. I often say that my son would be sometimes be better off if he'd been bore with full-blown autism, muscular distrophy, or blind. At least with these conditions adults would understand.

AS kids need just a little help from adults. Adults dealing with AS kids need to have a bit of training on what it is and how to deal with it. Its not complicated.

I would demand that your Council intervene in this matter.

Ken

What ever happened to the Cubscout's Motto of "Do Your Best?"

If I remember it correctly, the Webelos den leader is only the person who signs off the requirement, according to the Webelos handbook. If the den leader signs off on it, it's a done deal. There is no board of review in cub scout as in boy scout ... meaning ... the cub scout committee (or a member of the committee) can't say anything about rank advancement. Prairie, I don't think that even the CM can override the Webelos Den Leader's approval of the requirement. I could be wrong.

1Hour

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Thanks you all for confirming what I already knew. I talked with the parent more tonight, as we really did not have the time yesterday. She is going to try and find his book, but if she can not find it. The old DL has said if anyone has any questions about it all they need to do is ask and she will confirm everything has been completed. I am going to call the old DL tomorrow. The main reason the parent feels this happened, is due to serious conflicts between the CC and the boy's parent. Apparently there has been a long, nasty feud. She had her son start Boy Scouts in another Troop this year because the old CC is now the CC of the local Troop.

All she wants for her son is the award. I think he deserves an apology too, but thats my opinion. So, I am thinking of suggesting to her (if it is possible) for her son to get the recognition he should have gotten then, by doing his cross-over ceremony with my Den in September. Is this possible??

I have another question too. Why do people treat the kids like this? and how do they live with themselves? I get so angry and frustrated seeing what is a wonderful program twisted, warped and manipulated by power hunger fools.

Thank you very much

or-scouter, luckily these types are few and far between!

Haven't you ever seen a teacher who seemingly didn't like children or a librarian who didn't want to let you take books out of the library? A lawyer who broke the law? A doctor who smoked?

Don't let it get to ya! Solve this problem and move past it. There's too much good to celebrate - focus on that!!

There's a lot of foibles in all of us, I guess. Thankfully, most of us don't suffer too publicly for quirks that are too extreme!!!

Atleast I keep telling myself, no one's noticing!! ;)

jd

I would not have him participate in a crossover ceremony. He is already a Boy Scout and has been one for almost a year at this point.

If your Pack has no objection, I would see if the boy would like to be recognized at an AOL ceremony at your next Pack Meeting. Do not wait until September.

I agree with JD and Scoutnut...sounds like good advice.

However, BW has the best and most straightforward approach so far...give this advice to the parents of little Johnny (not sure why they did not pursue this in the first place)and move on.