Blue & Gold a SUCCESS!

My son's B&G was yesterday, everything went well, everyone had a great time & he's now officially a Boy Scout! (Wiping away a tear!) They had a brand new bridge, that they helped make, to cross over on & they were very proud of themselves! So was their DL & I & of course the boys parents! The gifts they received from the pack were the portable stools, so after a long hike they can rest for 5 minutes! (I had posted about gift suggestions a while ago & thanks to all that replied!) My personal gift to each of the 7 boys was a First Aid Bandana, a Boy Scout bookmark, pen & pencil. It's hard to believe that they're Boy Scouts, it seems like it was only yesterday when my son joined as a Bear!

Mark was so excited that after we got home from the B&G he wanted me to get his uniform "ready" for Boy Scouts! Meaning to take off his Bobcat, Bear & Webelos Badges, his Arrow Points & Compass Point Emblem, den # & sew on his Arrow of Light! He found a cookie tin & put his belt, blue loops & the badges that I did take off in there to keep!I told him that I was very tired, I didn't get much sleep last week & I didn't want to make any mistakes & ruin his shirt & that his uniform would be all ready for his first Troop meeting on Tuesday, March 22nd! Too cute! Oh what a minute, I guess he's too old to be cute! LOL! I can't wait to see the photos & I hope that they came out good because my SIL took quite a bit of them since I was up there with the boys! Now onto Boy Scouting!

Judy

AWDL

Of the specific memories of my childhood, I distinctly remember the night I came home after being inducted into a Troop from Webelos. My new green uniform was hung on the doorknob where I could see it all night. I was up well past midnight reading my new Boy Scout Handbook (with Norman Rockwell cover). I still have a 6th grade class picture with 3 of us wearing our Scout uniforms to school. We always wore them to school on meeting days. This was 40 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Scouting is more than camping and having fun. It's all about creating memories and friendships that last a lifetime.

Semper,

Thanks! He loved his 1st troop meeting & got his handbook & Scout Rank badge that night. I know he will have a lot of fun, he loved the activities he did as a Cub Scout, fishing, community service, camping as a Webelo, making volcanoes, earning his Whittlin' Chip card, working on his Bear, Webelos & AOL badges etc. He's looking forward to going camping without me! :( I'm not sad as a "Mom", but said as an AWDL-without a den, who loves to camp! I know he's going to have a blast!

Scoutldr,

That's great! I've taken quite a bit of photos of den activites, pack nights, camping etc & will organize them into a special photo album for Mark. I always get 2 sets of photos. We made a special photo album for the den leader from my photos & presented it to him at the B&G, along with a special plaque & an iron-on t-shirt that I made from a photo I took of the DL With the boys & the boys autographed the back of the shirt. I told Mark to bring his camera with him on his 1st campout to start a Boy Scout memory book.

You said you were your uniform to school, I think back then (I can say that because I started kindergarten in Sept 1962) nobody made fun of you for wearing it. I remember wearing my Junior uniform to school on certain Girl Scout Holidays, can't think of the correct terminology & there wasn't any problem with it. I don't think Scout can wear their uniforms to school nowaday without running into problems, which is a real shame. I know that Mark will have a great time & have many great memories!

Judy