All,

Im going to ask a question that I think I already know the answer to.

Im an Eagle Scout but have not been involved with Scout since 1992.

I became a Tiger Cub Den Leader in the fall when my son joined up.

It was announced to the Pack during a Bobcat ceremony that this badge is very important and that all Scouts have to earn it before any other badge is earned all the way up to Eagle Scout. I questioned the leaders about that statement at the Committee meeting and was told that in fact that statement is true.

I looked though my sons Tiger Cub book and the Wolf book that I bought and no statement of any kind other then Bobcat needs to be earned before any other Cub Scout rank is earned. I just cant believe this statement unless I see it in writing. There is no way a boy that joins Boy Scouts that was never in Cub Scout (for what ever reason) should be punished and never be allowed to earn rank? Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts help each other out but really dont have any thing to do with each others Rank!

Is this statement true about Bobcat Rank true?

Thanks,

Mark Maranto

No.

In the Cub Scout Program the Bobcat must be earned before any other badge can be awarded, with the exception of the Tiger Badge. Even 4th or 5th grader joining as a Webelos must earn the bobcat badge.

Once the boys reach Boy Scout age there is no Bobcat anymore.

hindrickms24,

I think there is some apples and oranges in this crate...BOY SCOUTS AND CUBS ARE TWO different programs..

In Cubs all boys must earn the Bobcat, even a boy entering as a second year Webelos...(it is not a hard patch to earn)...

In the Boy Scouts there is no bob cat...and a boy does not even have to have been a cub scout...Cub Scouting is not a requirement. But all boys who join Boy Scouts, start working on tenderfoot regardless of age (11 or 17 they all start as new scouts working on tenderfoot), unlike cubs, where if you join cubs as a fourth grader you are 'in' a webelos den.

hope it helps...