Can this be done?

Looking for a clarification here. I know that anytime a scout award requires community service that service cannot be counted towards any other scout award/requirement that requires community service. I am crystal clear on that.

What about non-scouting awards? If my boys (wolf cubs) do a community service project to earn a non-scouting award, can that same community service also be used towards a scouting award?

The Nations Trails American Heritage Award have a req that reads like this: "Render a service that benefits a neighborhood or community."

As part of Wolf requirement 7 we will be picking up trash in our town.

Can I use that toward the American heritage award? Or should we do another project?

Thanks!

Sylvar

Absolutely okay.

Eagle Scout projects can be used for the BSA Hornaday Award, the Congressional Awards, Prudential Spirit of America Award, etc.

Religious emblem awards are given by both your church and scouts for the same work.

For the Hiking merit badge, we do a lot of Historical Trails with award components.

Being awarded by scouting and other groups for the same work is entirely appropriate.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

"Can" and "Should" are probably the key words in your two questions. You 'can' use the service project to fulfill many different requirements, such as a hike, conservation project, and service project. But, I believe you 'should' do a separate activity for each requirement for each different award.

It's easy for me to explain to my Webelos den that we picked up trash on Jan. 12 to make our town more livable and to fulfill requirement A for award X and we cleaned the park on Jan. 13 to make it safer for younger kids and to fulfill requirement B for award Z.

It is more difficult to explain that we picked up trash and we're double counting that for requirement A and B. I have a concern that I'm teaching them to bend the rules or work the system rather than do cheerful service.

Paul

Everything in moderation!!!

Provided you dont let this get out of hand, and use this one service project for an infinite number of awards or credits toward an award, I would think its OK. You have to be careful that in doing this, and then doing it again, and again, and again, it doesnt make a mockery of your program.

Thanks for the input gang. We have no shortage of service projects, Our pack does several throughout the year. But they always seem to be alloted to this requirement or that award (scouting related). I don't like double dipping and try to avoid it at all costs. In this case the service req is only a small part of the award. The real focus of the award is to teach american history and pride in our country.

I remember being a Wolf Den Leader...

Way back when I was lucky if I could get my Wolves to sit still for 5 minutes let alone pay attention long enough to effectively carry out a service project! The more the merrier!

I'd count it :)