Tiger Cubs versus Daisies

Gungho,

If you want to enjoy the scouting program and have your son benefit from it, then you need to ratchet it back several notches. While I admire your 'gungho' attitude, after only three months in the program it appears that all you see are the problems of everyone else. Relax and be patient...all good things come to those who wait. If not for you, then for your son's sake. Since it appears you are already fed up with your pack and have quit, I would suggest you take the next several months off and assess your ability to work with others (inspite of their imperfections) to figure out if scouting can be a positive experience for your family.

So, I'm a little more motivated to do things, so what. It just mean I'm a round peg trying to fit into a square hole. It's time for me to pick up and look for a round hole that fits my expectations, and that I associate with the same like minded parents. It's just makes more sense to suggest to someone to find another pack instead of flaming them as a lunatic as you have.

Also, asking questions is wrong? If this is true as you have demonstrated, so much for setting the example on being a Scout.

Being a former Tiger DL all I can say is thank the Lord the parents were there!!! A bunch of 6 year olds can be hard to control!!

About the parents with their own ideas, some might be really good so I always listened. The ideas that were not good, I listened to anyway but I made sure in a nice way that they understood most of the meetings were already planned out or some other reason that their idea would not be used.

I found my self chanting "I'm here for the kids, not their parents" over and over again after a lot of meetings!

One of my (many) shortcomings is the tendency of projecting myself onto others. Only knowing how the program works in spirit and not in implementation I turn to any and all books about the subject, soaking up as much training that is available, and considerable amount of questions to whomever offered to help. There certainly isn't any thought of being superior, or knowing more that anyone else. Part of it is having a drive to learn as much and the desire to make it the best for the Boys.

Now I've had a taste, I would agree that the parents of the Tiger Cubs should only have to worry about enjoying the ride instead of jumping into the driver's seat. Let the parents have a chance to experience the "Leadership" role for a month or two with a personal (experienced) coach to assist. On the month(s) it's the parents turn to lead, they set the meeting frequency, place, time, the theme, and the go-see-it for that month.

Being hardheaded is another trait that I have. Now I get it. I can certainly see how the going full blast may turn off some either not use to or not ready for it. And the importance of pacing yourself for sake of your Sons continued enthusiasm as well as my own. But the toughest lesson to (still) learn is how to curb that enthusiasm without extinguishing it. The desire for doing it right the first time tends to govern a person who is a hard charger. This also tends to blind a person when all of it looks like "low hanging" fruit. (All arrows point to me!)

But this still doesn't excuse my reaction. I recognize the fact that everyone operates at a different pace then others. I tend to lose sight of this due to the people I generally associate with, at work, and friends which exhibit the same tendency as my own. But I also want to say that a large part of this also comes in the form trusting someone else to provide the very best program for my Son.

Getting dissimilar people together, having them coincide without diminishing the overall message and goal of the program is the real trick. As a personal goal, it's one that I'm trying to practise and be better at. And maybe that's the key to all of this; to sit down and agree to what those goals or expectations are. Training and even the books generalize the program too much, to the point that I wasn't able to fully comprehend it. And when there is confusion, there is frustration.