Den numbers & Den Flags

Am I correct to assume that the cub scout's den number follows him, or does it change each year. I had assumed that as our Tiger den becomes a Wolf den, their Den Number would not change to prevent all the families from having to rip off and sew on a new Den number patch each year.

However, this assumption causes problems with our Den Fl(This message has been edited by KonaScout)

However, this assumption causes problems with our Den Flag numbers since the Tiger and the Webelo flags are unique from the wolf and bear flags. If your first year you have a #1 ironed on your Tiger flag, it can't very well become your Wolf Den flag. I guess we could make some type of number finial for the Den Flag pole, but is there a better (and/or official) solution to this dilemma?

I'm a new cubmaster who started a new pack seven months ago. Initially our Commissioner recommended we just not use den numbers but just refer to them as our "Wolf" den etc.

However we are now up to the 5 grade-level dens and we have been using Den Doodles (we prefer to call them Den Wampum Boards) and Den Flags and we

(Cont'd from 1-3) We need to start designating our dens (at least sometimes) by a unique den number. (This my first time to post and I seem to be limited to only one paragraph, no matter how many times I "reEdit" each post). Thanks for your help!

Much the same as Bob, the Den kept their number all the way, but they made a new flag each year.

The Commissioner is right you can call them "The whatever den" but being as you have such a wonderful program and the pack is the best show in town /on the Island you will soon have more than just one whatever den.

Belonging to a Den is important to the little fellows in the den. Den pride will we hope in time lead them to being proud members of a Patrol when they cross over into Boy Scouts.Preparing these little fellows to become Boy Scouts is a very important part of Cubscouting.

Welcome to the Forums, I hope you will stick around and update us how things are going.

Eamonn.

We hold our den numbers all the way through cub scouts. We had one of the moms make a really nice den flag with our pack and den numbers. For an insignia we used the arrow of light. We picked this so we wouldn't have to make a new flag every year and because its the carry over patch from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.

As CM of a new pack, I assigned dens numbers and used the official flags with the iron-on numbers. The boys in each den created den cheers around their den number and kept that identity throughout their Pack experience. I'ld be sure to use the same number on their Tiger, Cub, and Webelos Den flag. I discouraged any "mascot" use while in the Pack; I didn't want to steal the Troop thunder. (This did irritate some dads who wanted their seven-year-olds to start learning Boy Scout stuff. Oh well.) When our Webelos 2 would start hanging with the Troop, then they could experiment with patrol critters and become a patrol (with Troop approval), but they couldn't use it in the pack --- 'cuz it was kind of a "Boy Scout secret." They loved that. Each year, the new W2 would start wearing their own patrol patch, but wouldn't tell the younger boys what it was about. "Wait till you older," they'ld say. (LOL)

Now we have flags from Den 1 through 10 and the Pack just recycles them.

Thanks for your helpful comments and good ideas!

It still seems strange that the official Scout Den Flag and Den Number system as sold in the catalog, doesn't seem to allow the den flag to be used for more than one year (ie the orange Tiger Den #1 flag cannot become the Wolf Den #1 flag just as the Webelo Den 2

Thanks for your helpful comments and good ideas!

It still seems strange that the official Scout Den Flag and Den Number system as sold in the catalog, doesn't seem to allow the den flag to be used for more than one year (ie the orange Tiger Den #1 flag cannot become the Wolf Den #1 flag just as the Webelo Den #5 fla

(cont') (ie the orange Tiger Den #1 flag cannot become the Wolf Den #1 flag just as the Webelo Den #5 flag cannot cycle back and becomethe Tiger Den #5 flag.) It would seem that the best solution is to make or use flags that are not specific to a given rank. (In that our official Cub Pack flag has just cost us 2

I just looked on line and the den flag is $8.80, without poles. Many years ago when I was a leader in cub scouts. The pack had den flags with numbers on them, they where used maybe once and thrown in the storage room, the number did not match the den after a year. The new leaders saw these and thought they where cool, so we bought new ones and give them to the den leaders, we did not pay the extra money to get the den number with, this way, they could be used by any wolf or bear den. In short the flags do not come with numbers.

Hindsight being 20/20, having the dens make flags would have been pretty neato cool.

as in other threads . . .

Organizationally, we need to practice "Thrifty" as well as we preach it.

Den Flags are just another example, as is, the fact that one sided flags are decorated with numerals that come two to a pack.

Beyond the thrift factor, having differing Den flags is divisive -- like different uniform pieces for "Tigers, Cubs and Webelos".

jd