various Unit calendars - charter, fiscal, program . . .

"Charter Year" is an obvious thing for Units, but what about "fiscal year" and "program year"? it seems as if these are based on the choices of the Unit. Is this absolutely true, or is there more to the story?

The question arose when examining the new Cub Outdoor Activity Award. Each Cub can earn it each "program year", when I asked at the council office for clarification, I was told that "program year" was a term used by Units, but had no official use (not their words, but my understanding).

"Program Year" for us (until today...) has always meant the day after graduation until the next graduation (June 1 to May 31, e.g. "Wolf Year" and "Bear Year").

Is there a common standard? Does it matter, except for the Unit, planning program for the next twelve months??

jd(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Most packs that I'm aware of use a "program year" similar to yours. Although, they usually start in conjunction with the school year. They are either from 8/1 to 7/31 or 9/1 to 8/31. Council and district planning kickoff is usually around the first of August, so it's hard to start them sooner than that.

I've found that our troops (and others I've spoken to), do a program year pretty much in conjunction with rechartering. That way their budgets and everything are all in synch. We're planning 2005 as we speak. We'll schedule out through summer in pretty good detail, and the fall will be a little vague. Then, when the council and district comes out with information around the first of August, we'll firm up our plans for the balance of the year.