Need Penpals

Hello! This is my first time posting on here although I have been lurking for a long time. I was wondering if any of you leaders out there would be willing to sign your den up to be penpals with my wolves. Last year I talked to someone with a another out of state den who was going to do this but now he isn't leading. We were very excited about doing this so I am now looking for a new group of boys. There are all kinds of things we could do and send each other. Maybe share different things from your area. I hope someone would be willing. It will be fun!

Hi!

We are located in Tn. about 30 miles from Memphis.

What we were going to do before was match up a boy from each den and let the boys write to each other and they could send pictures, patches,a small gift at Christmas and Blue and Gold, and what ever else that we could think of. Also share different activity that we are doing and see what other dens are doing. We could also share ideas and be proud of our "brothers" when they pick up awards or rank. We could do this as a whole den and not as one on one. If that wprks better. This could all go through the leaders in case some parents don't feel comfortable giving out their address. All my returning scouts parents are very excited. And aren't worried about it. This will give the boys a chance to work on things in the meeting for their pals. Thank you cards would be one thing.

While it is very likely your request is sincere, It would be a good reminder that this is the internet, it can be a great source of information and a great danger to children.

Giving personal information, like names and adresses is not a good idea. The real fact is you do not know this person. The internet allows you to be anything and anyone you want people to think you are just by typing it in.

There are better ways to find scout penpals that are far safer. Talk to your Counil office to get contact names in other councils. Attend a multi council event and meet registered scouters from other areas. Perhaps you can find a relative or friend who has a child in scouting in another council.

To send a stranger personal information is not a good idea. Being posters on the same forum does not make it safe. Think it over carefully before you share personal information with a stranger, especially when it involves children.

A public service message from

Bob White

BW - SERIOUSLY CLEAR thinking!!!!! Well played!!

Smoke and Carol - First welcome!!! Smart thinking, coming here. If you get help from BW and the rest, you'll save yourself tons of angst.

No need to be paranoid, just careful and safety oriented. Like BW says, contact your councils and let your councils make the appropriate contacts and validate the process and the people involved. Even with that, it would be best if you devised a system where the letters actually travel through the Councils and the boys never bothered to discuss last names, addresses, phone numbers, school names, even school mascots, etc. (Consider how simple it would be to track a kid for whom you knew geographic locale (Scout District), grade (Den level), school (mascot), and just first name. Most of us are good people, but bad people aren't necessarily stupid - we can't make it easy for them.) Instead of fully addressing envelopes, the boys could just address them by first name (last initial if necessary, but even that isn't as safe as Bob #1 and Bob #2 or Bob A. and Bob B.) then toss them in a mailer and have your Council/district send it to the other Council/district for pick up by the other leader. (Plus you'll save money!)

BTW, the idea of small gifts is OK, though I'd keep it Cub oriented like Council Strips, locale focused (When we went to the '73 Jamboree, we took small sealed bottles of water that had gone over Niagara Falls as our host gift to other scouts. I remember receiving a small pill bottle of Daytona Beach sand (it's white!) from one group of Scouts with whom we celebrated.), and other gifts that are "less personal".

Be sensitive to the diversity in your organizations. If my boys were involved, Christmas presents would be inappropriate for some of them.

Photos should, at most, only be labeled with first names.

I'd suggest reading them as they go out and as they come in - at least for the first several round trips. Cubs are just old enough to say the wrong thing. For example, some of my guys still believe in Santa. Would every Scout in your Den NOT step on that?? Probably not on purpose, but it's just another level that you have to worry about your kids (emotional safety).

Wish you luck - sounds like fun!!! I'd offer to participate but right now I've got 12 Wolves -- I'll wait till we split next month and consider it with just 6!!

jd

(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Hi!

If any of you go back and read the post it says there that I wanted it to go through the leaders. This is not anything new it is done all the time. I am also not dumb enough to give out personal stuff on any of my boys. I have also already gotten approve from my council before it was even brought up to my parents. We also did this with the troops over seas. Through the leaders with approval. This was very well thought out and planned for over a year. None of my post has personal tarcable information. If I had found someone here to do it it would of been a Registered leader who has gone through a back ground check and all information would of been pasted through the phone. And no I don't mean the boys address or phone numbers. As a leader for 5 years and soon to be new packmaster and a parent I am not going to do anything to harm these boys. I once thought this was a palce to come to get friendly information and to chat with people who want whats best for their boys.

Thank you Carol for your interest but I have found someone else in a pack overseas who has the same amount of boys that I do. I have 17 boys this year in my wolves alone and in my Sr. Webelos I have 22. I will not be back here agin so don't bother posting.

Let's make in clear that no called anyone dumb, stupid or any other derogatory name, and that no such thing was inferred. A simple reminder was given that we should not assume everyone is a friend simply beause they post on a scout board. Even if you do not give out a boy's address you will no doubt give your own, and where and when the den meets will likely creep into a conversation. And the boys will sign their names right? Those bits of information can be assembled to give a stranger an awful lot of information.

I just shared a word of advice. No one was accused of anything, but better safe than sorry.

Smoke20 -

Bob White's thoughtful comment just got me thinking about how careful we need to be with our Cubs. No offense or judgement intended - just trying to be Helpful.

jd

CubbingCarol - Smoke says he's not coming back to read these comments, if you "speak" with him again, please relay my sentiments.

john