Pack Performance: Cubs Rock--funny night

It was my first time emceeing the pack meeting as CM, which we now call pack performances, and it was truly fun! I gave a big build up to all the awards the Cubs had earned, and they could see the table with all sorts of stuff on it. Then I called out each name after getting a cheer of Cubs Rock going and handed each boy a rock. Lots of fanfare, you know, telling boy "you rock!" They tried so hard to look happy, but some were confused. Then a rock bottom fell off and awards fell into one boy's lap. He was still confused because he didn't know what the Quality Unit patch was. But this got others to look more closely at their rocks--shaking them, tipping them over, and awards were spilling out everywhere. The looks on their faces were priceless! They refer to me as the awards lady, so this was kind of an odd award to them...until they realized what they had. Skits were hilarious; our den leaders are amazing! We discovered we have quite a few hams, and even the shyer boys weren't shy last night. They sang a song (some spoke it, some chanted it, each has his way of doing things :)) called "If I Were Not a Cub Scout" -- funny song that they loved performing. We zipped through everything, laughed throughout, and I am happy to be settling in my new position as CM. What a kick to see the boys get so excited over being acknowledged. I think I'm off to an ok start, which feels good, and I was impressed that we had 8 boys come out since our pack has always ended meetings by late February. We have 14 on the roster, only 10 of them active, so 8 is great for us.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Congratulations, Laurie, it sounds as if you had a great meeting.

If you have a community newspaper, you might want to put in an article together with photos of your meeting, and then try to do that again every meeting. Closing, of course, with "Our next meeting is at XXXXX; New members are always welcome."

Talk to your district about what you can do to get some more members for the fall. They should help you. And plan a couple of activities over the summer so you can earn the National Summertime pack award. I know of one Cubmaster who gave every boy some seeds to plant which came up blue and gold flowers in the middle of the summer. And who also gave the boys sunflower seeds to plant and said they should bring their best sunflower to the first Pack meeting in the fall where they had a sunflower competition (with every boy, of course, getting a prize.)

Laurie

If Fun is the Fuel of Scouting and you add a Rock do you have Rocket Fuel?

Sounds like you all had a great time.

Eamonn

PS I hope the little Lads leg is 100%.