How Do You Get Volunteers?

A couple of ways we have used:

1. At the fall scout roundup, have the kids leave the room to go have fun while the adults stay behind and find out about the program. Split the parents up into what would be dens at each table - they're not allowed to leave the table until they have worked out the den leadership structure. It works, but can cause some problems.

2. Explain the situation to a parent and ask them to do ONE small thing for the pack or den - then ask them to do TWO, etc. When they finally realize that an hour a week isn't so much, ask them face to face to become a leader because you need their help.

I believe that almost all parents will consent to being an assistant whatever, it's the lead job that the parents shy away from. case in point is my son and the cubmasters' son have graduated to scouts this year and we're both moving up to be asst. scoutmasters in the troop. The pack has known this since the start of the year and nobody has come forward to be the new cubmaster although three people have agreed to be asst.

YIS

Quixote

"When they finally realize that an hour a week isn't so much, ask them face to face to become a leader because you need their help."

Who are we trying to kid? I only have 1 hour left after scouting.

I posted a reply to this on the Cub Scout board.

Tim Dyer

Much like Quixote I use his option number two whenever possible. My younger son will be moving on in 18 months and I have my replacement picked out already. She just doesn't know it yet!!!

Tim I also only have about an hour a week left after Cub Scouts and Boys Scouts but it is worth every second that I spend.