Bobcat Trail Activities or Games

Repetition. Start early leading your Tiger den in the Promise and Law of the Pack. Ultimately, memorizing those are the only real issue. Have a poster (from Scout shop or make one) with the words on it so they can read along. You can make a game by writing each line of the Promise and Law on a separate strip of paper and have a relay race to see how can get them in the proper order first.

But the only way the boys are really going to learn them is to spend 30 minutes focusing on memorizing them. Once they do that, they've got it. Until they do, it will be a struggle.

We did a variety of memorization games, such as fill in the blank, matching words, crossword puzzles, word searches. Some were done individually and some in group competition. I also remember setting up a bunch of stations where the boys went around and passed off on the different requirements.

Thanks Eagle....we'll try those too if need be. My group is just soooo entergetic....it's hard to get them to sit and concentrate on memorization...but i know to do this...that is what they are going to have to do. So, my thinking was, if I can find a way for them to learn it through some kind of game or such...like maybe Bobcat Trail Jeopardy was a brainstorm I had...then maybe I might hold their attention long enough. I've had no problem before, but the bobcat stuff is a little more involved and we are talking with 6 years olds that are WILD!!!! LOL :)...We'll survive though and thanks to you guys for the ideas, I appreciate it. ;)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (it's orange, in fact). Yes, they are energetic. Making it a competition makes it more fun. Here's a variation of a fill in the blanks method. Take your boys and break them into two teams. The run up, pull a piece of paper from a bag. It has a word on it. They look at the "board" with a "fill in the blanks" version of (you pick - Cub Scout Oath, Law of the pack, etc.), and place it on the space where it belongs. If they get it wrong, they put the piece back in the bag. Then run back, and tag the next guy. Keep going until they get the puzzle filled in. Afterward, recite it as a group.

We used to do this with a lot of our memorization techniques when they were younger.