Cub Day Camp BB Gun Range Ideas

Safety, Safety, Safety. Then, make sure all the cubs feel successful. Don't yell at them. Everyone gets a turn. At the end of the day, we used to have a great time picking up all the spent BBs. It helps to spread a tarp under the targets and backstops to catch them. I let the cubs take everything they could find home with them...we did a pretty good cleanup as a result.

It depended on the weather but sleeping pads worked great for them to use. Or if there are plenty of leaves another tarp works too. Never tried any of those targets, we just used the standard bulls-eye versions. Be careful with the balloons. If not inflated enough or if struck just wrong, a BB could come right back, I think. I guess I'm super careful with anything that involves projectiles.

All instructors need to be trained and certified.

While I would need to look it up I feel sure that the targets and balloons are not allowed.

The range area is one where discipline and adherence to safety rules need to over ride everything else.

You might want to get the book on Cub Scout Shooting sports from your Council Service Center.

Most BB gun manufacturers have a target that is attached to a box that is filled with paper in order to prevent the BB from ricocheting. Even the use of thumb tacks to attach the target to the box ought to be avoided. Make sure that the Scouts wear eye protection.

We have an area away from the range where a instructor goes over all the safety rules and explains the rules of the range and the commands as well as how to use the gun in a safe way.

A failed range is one where a Scout gets hurt or is shut down by the camp inspector for not meeting the safety rules.

Eamonn

Other than the basics of operating a safe range, we've never felt the need to don anything to make the BB program more interesting or appealing. Honestly, we could require all the boys to take a bite of spinach between each shot and they'd still be there all day.