Bridge for Webelos

I hope someone out there can help us. I saw some plans for building a bridge for Webelos to go over somewhere on the web but have been unable to find it again now that my boys are going over to Boy Scouts. It wasn't an arched bridge like the one we use for Girl Scouts but a flat, very rustic one with planks suspended from ropes (as I recall). We wanted to build it with the Webelos I as part of their Craftsman badge but I can't find it in any of my Favorites so I don't know what happened to it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or was I just dreaming?

Hi,

I, too, have searched high & low for some plans I printed out a couple of months ago and I can't find them anywhere now! I gave them to a Den Leader who agreed to build a bridge so can't look for a website address on them, but, THE GOOD NEWS is that I found an even better bridge at this website: http://www.users.qwest.net/~rbhollis/scout_bridge.html#Detailed%20Pictures

I wish I'd give these plans to our bridge builder! I love the idea of the Scout Oath!

• 1 month later...

After a few years of complaints from Webelos Scouts, the CM decided to build his own bridge at a local camp. The Scouts usually laughed at the small one-step bridge the Pack had and wondered about what they had been told about bridging. We were given permission from the local professionals to build one. The area selected had a small stream/rut in the ground and our bridge was about 12 feet across. The bridge was arched and somewhat rustic. We didn't use any plans but it came out just fine. It was sturdy enough and has lasted several years. It took four adults about two days to build, using various power tools and equipment. We built it in the wrong place, so we asked the Ranger to pull it into place with his tractor.

I am not proposing this project to anyone ever again. It was difficult and consumed what patience we had with each other and with our own personal sanity. Unless you have more time and help, this is too big to try in the privacy of your own den. The CMs idea was perfect but sometimes perfection needs to be tempered with practicality.

The result was great because the stream/rut was near an opening where we had several wonderful campfires and ceremonies. The idea was what counted. An actual bridge that a Scout really crossed fit what the Scouts had originally had in mind.

I suppose that is what I am proposing. Look for a small bridge that is already built and use it for the ceremony. Of course, get permission first and then fit in all of the other ceremonial elements. When I now work with a group, and we have a problem, we scrutinize all of the resources for any project. Somebody seems to have an answer and sometimes we even have more than one good answer to choose from to define it. Fuzzy B.

Since our crossovers take place on the stage at one end of the church's activity center, it's more of a theatrical prop than a real bridge. It's constructed of two 2x4s, about 4' long standing on edges. The surface of the bridge is 1x4 planks about 3'wide nailed to the 2x4s. There are holes drilled into the corners to accept broom handle-sized dowels. The dowels have metal eye screws on the top for a yellow rope which makes the hand rails. The whole thing is painted Cub blue.

It's kind of cheesy, but it works.