Questions for adult leader references

New to Scouter Network so I hope I do this right.

My wife is our pack CC and remembers having a sheet listing suggested questions to ask the references listed by perspective new leaders. She cannot find her copy now and would like to get some new leaders on board. Does anyone know of such a list/sheet? If not, are there suggestions for questions?

Thanks in advance!

Werlovz,

Welcome to the forum. I know when they came out with the new adult applications years ago there was a questionaire of sorts, but I don't know that there is now.

My CC looks at the adult application and confirms the responses the adult filled out, to include calling the referances and asking them the same questions about the adult that are on the application.

Hopefully someone has the sheet your talking about. I'd like to see it.

I have never seen the sheet Overtrained refers to and don't know of anything current for units to use.

However, the following questions are the ones that are asked of references for professional Scouter applicants of non-work related references:

How long have you known this individual?

What is/was your relationship to the applicant?

What are _name__________ outstanding strong points?

What are any evident weak points?

How would ______name______ be an asset to our youth development organization (pack?)

Do you know any reason why this person should not work with children? If yes, please tell me why.

I hope this helps.

DS

I don't know that we worry about calling the references since most of the people listed are registered with our troop to begin with.

The committe chair would ask me to call him to ask about Bob Smith and then he'd call me to ask about Bob, then we'd get together to compare notes.

I guess that we're in a lucky situation.

I think Fat Old Guy's unit is probably like many in that they do not check references. In most cases, the person who is volunteering is known to the unit and the school, neighborhood, church, whatever.

There is also now a criminal background check conducted on every new adult application -- so not checking references is probably a lot more safe than it once was.

On the other side of the coin, I know a lot of Den Leaders for example are recruited at the school night, but not necessarily known to the pack leadership and/or the chartered partner. If no one knows the applicant, I think the committee is obligated to check the references. Just because a person has no criminal record, that does not mean you would want them to be a leader for your child. Make the calls and see what you find out.

Then decide whether they should be registered members of your unit. Please note what Committee Chairs, Chartered Reps and/or Insititional Heads are sigining that they approve the leader and that the Council Representative is sigining only that they accept the leader. As I'm sure NJCubScouter can point out, there are legal differences in the terms.

DS

I agree with DS that often the task is delegated to the committee. I would recommend the committee politely refuse.

This process is in place not only to help the committee decide where best to use this person's skills, but as a legal responsibility of the CO. the Committee cannot aprove an adult leader. The Committee Chair who is selected by the CO and the IH or COR approve them. The CO should not be taking legal responsibility for this volunteer if they have not taken the time to check references.

The parents should expect better protection for their children than to place then in the care of someone who has only been cleared by the personal opinion or the CC and one committee member.

Bob White