Pack Rally Night and Recruiting

From another thread "Pack/Family Camping" SCTMOM posted:

RE: Pack/Family Camping

Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002: 8:20:17 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pack38Scouter, Thanks.

Please tell us what your town does to have 2 very strong packs. You have enough boys for 4 packs! What are you doing? (maybe a separate thread)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well SCTMOM ... we live in a Masterplan Community (spec. homes) called New Territory in SugarLand, Texas (about 20 miles SW of Houston), a very fortunate community that has well over 500+ (I dare say) of Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts (yuk ... not the Girl Scouts :))

Originally, we have one Pack ... Pack 616 (I do believe) and it derrives its Cubs from one Elementary. It grew to 90+ boys and another Elementary school was built about the same time. Our District seized the opportunity to create a second Pack and thus Pack 38 was borned six years ago. For the first year, it was a growing pain of creating a new Pack and drafting new leaders. Fortunately, we had strong CM, ACMs, and CC. The parents just follow suit. Pack 38 grew to about 100+ the next several years, averaging about 30-40 per year. We concentrate on our Elementary with some defection for the other Elementary ... these are transferred when the Pack splits into two! Two years, later we had a new Cubmaster for our old one went on with his older son to Scouting. Mr. Mike tenure for two years and gathered about 30-35 boys each year. Each year, we sent the District notification flyer home, we did a boy talk, and we had our Rally Night.

I took over the CM two years ago and added some twists to the recruiting effort. Based on my first experience with the Pack, not knowing what's going on, what's going to happen and no organization, I changed several things:

1) First of which, is the picking of leaders. I had an Open House at the local Club House the Saturday after school started, three weeks before the District's Official Rally Night. I advertised the Open House in the New Territory monthly newsletter. I sent home a flyer with every boy (first grade through fourth only) at school in their first Friday's folder (advertising both Pack 38 Open House and the School Rally Night). This is where I do my Leaders Recruiting. I figure that if he/she is interested enough ... they usually go the the Open House. By golly, I drafted three new Den Leaders, because at the Open House, there is less people and more time to talk to the people one-on-one. At the Open House, I had one of my parents made a Powerpoint slide show of our Pack's past activities ... sort of like Pack's propaganda show! ... showing our campouts, trips, overnight at the Aquarium, Pinewood Derby, etc. I have a table set up with Pinewood Derby Cars and other Cub Scout Memorabilia ... past wood projects, etc. I also had my sons' uniform on display. Of course having the Webelos there to talk the young potential Tigers and Wolves are great ... this way they can earn their recruiting badge (pick the mature ones ... 'cause you don't want to have to baby sit the boys)! I also had some of my leaders there (the ones who need boys in their den ... not many needs in our Pack! 16 Dens ... avg about 8 boys per Den). Doing this way ... you give the people who can't make it to the official Rally Night, those who are can't wait to get their sons (these are your leaders ... at least plant the seeds until Rally Night) into Cub Scout, and those who have questions about what they are getting themselves into (thus no surprises). We had the school to put the Rally Night message on the school's marquee.

2) One resounding complaint before I took over was "I didn't know what I got myself into." Well, to fix this, I made up an FAQ and a Web site detailing everthing there is to know about Pack 38. I setup a table at the "School Open House" (2nd week into school year and 1 week prior to Rally Night). I and several Webelos handed out the FAQ and the Rally advertisement flyer. The FAQ explains everthing about the Pack (I borrowed it off a Pack on the Internet ... can't remember which... but doesn't BSA stands for Borrow & Steal All trainings, references, and ideas about scouting?)

The FAQs spells it out the fact that if your son joins, you'll help. So it gives them a heads up on my requirement.

3) More flyers about the Rally Night home with the boys the Friday before the Rally Night week.

4) On the Rally Night day, my ACM and I put on a "Boy Talk" during lunch. We came equipped with a small tent and the "BSA CubScout Jam," "Tiger Jam," and our Council new CubWorld CampSite (Camp Bovay) (it has bb gun and archery professionally done) video tapes. We also set up a small 2-man tent that the boys can come in an out. We rotate the boys, one grade at a time to the stage to have a talk, telling about what we have done in the past (and what we will be doing ... not lying to them ... 'cause it's not fair to get their hopes up and not doing it) and send home a reminder of some sort about the Rally Night.

5) Rally Night... plan ahead and have a division of tasks (see agenda at the bottom). Get all the help that you can muster ... including 2nd-year Webelos. Again, I talked about the needs to have parent to help out and they will help out ... short of saying ... if you can't please sign your son up for sports.

Results ... my first year of doing this we picked up 55 boys (3 Tiger Dens, 1 Wolf, 1 Bear, 1 Webelos-1), a whole Pack! This year, we picked up 48 boys (2 Tiger Dens, 1 Wolf, 1 Bear, 1 Webelos-1, and one fifth-grader).

By way, this year I put in a parent orientation class. Now, they really know what they got themselves into. Next year, we'll try to get YPT adminitered to these parents at one swhoop.

The best result is the fact that these parents are well informed (from my survey thus far) and they know the committment! Because, I don't like previous years' tactic of get 'em in by blindsided them (i.e. - sign them up at Rally Night and let them figure out what's going on).

For each of the new Den, I have a current leader to coach and mentor them. Last year we got 90% rechartered.

It could be done a whole lot better, but getting 45-55 boys with eager parents are good enough for me. I have about 40 regular helps and alot more oneseys and twoseys.

Final note: I have a Chairperson for each event and it is required that each den has a representative for each event. If there is no volunteer from the den, then the Den Leader is it! (I do, from time to time, send out heart-bleeder, tear-jerker of an email to get the non-participant to join in the fun!) :)

2002 Pack 38 Rally Night Agenda

Activities

I. Gathering and Greeting 30 minutes prior to opening (7:00pm)

a. Greeters meet boys and adults at the door and sign in.

Give them:

1. Rally Night 2002 package

2. Cub Scout Application

3. Mini Boys Life

Resources:

(3) sign-in" Yvonne(1st-2nd),Alan (3rd), Susan (4th-5th)

(2) booklets distributors David, Chris

(2) greeters Jim R.,Long P.

II. Opening Ceremony 5-7 minutes (7:10 pm)

a. Pack 38 Leadership introduction Long

b. Explanation and demo of Cub Scout salute Jim

c. Present Colors Pack 38 Honor Guards

III. Separation of Parents and new Cubs 5 minutes (activities last 10 minutes)(7:15pm)

a. New and current Cub Scouts line up to go do: Yvonne

Cub Scout Promise, Cub Scout sign, Cub Scout Motto

IV. Why Cub Scouts? 10 minutes (7:25pm)

a. Brief overview of Cub Scouts (Tiger, Wolves, etc.) Long

b. Parental Involvement (especially advancement) Long

c. Emphasize that Cub Scouting is a family activity Long

d. Tiger Parent comments on past activities (1 min.) Michael

e. Wolf Parent comments on past experiences (1min.) Jason

f. Webelos tells why he likes Cub Scouts (1 min.) Den 6

g. Collect Sign Up Sheet from parents

(Designated leaders will sort scout according to meeting time and date and hand the result to Long by 7:40pm)

V. Cub Scout Promise 10 minutes (7:35pm)

a. Bring back the boys:

b. Teach the adults about the Cub Scout Sign Jim

c. Lead the boys in the Cub Scout Motto

d. Lead the boys in the Cub Scout Promise

e. Congratulate boys with applause

f. Send the boys back out for a video or fun game. Yvonne

g. Explain the Cub Scout Promise to the adults Jim

VI. Discussion Details / Answer Questions 10 minutes (7:45pm)

a. Fees and rechartering explanation Beena

b. Leadership needs of the Pack (remind them that the boys get the best program and everything is easier when everyone helps out).

c. Bring back the boys to their parents (7:50pm) Yvonne

d. Promote Family Camp, Pinewood Derby, NASA Sleepover, etc.

e. Form Den(s). 20 minutes (7:55pm) Parents will be arranged according to den

(Den Helpers will assist in finding a Den Leader and Assistant Den Leader(s) and a meeting time. DONT FORGET TO GET THE NAMES OF EVERYONE IN THE DEN AND THEIR APPS/$).

f. Fill out and collect boy applications and fees.

VII. Next Meeting 3-5 minutes (8:15pm) Long

a. Next meeting will be a Parents Orientation where Den Leaders will be determined and meeting time/location.

b. Give date, time and location of:

c. Adult Orientation August 31st, Ellis Creek Club House

VIII. Follow Up Questions/Answers 5-10 minutes All

* Leader Helps: (to coordinate Den formation)

Tigers: Eden T. Money/ Tally the Count Beena P.

Tigers: Jim R. Tigers Applications Allan A.

Tigers: David T. Wolf, Bear, Web Apps Susan G.

Wolves: Chris M.

Bears: Doug M.

Webelos: Sanjay D.

KISMIF - WUPA(Keep It Simple and Make It Fun, While You Plan Ahead!)

Wow, thanks! I'm printing this one off for my notebook!

I live between 2 elementary schools, each with about 250 boys between 1st and 5th grade. Each school tries to have it's own pack. Our pack is still surviving, but this year is hurting. The other pack is off and on. They are on again this year, saw them in the parade on Saturday. Out of each grade of 50 boys, we may have 8 in Cubs. These are the boys and parents you see at everything -- church, sports, school events, etc. Some years we have had 2 dens of a particular grade level. I'm not sure if the other pack has 30 boys this year. Some years they join us with 3 kids per grade level.

It puzzles me because we live in a middle class neighborhood in a very conservative based area. Most people have the money to sign their kid up for whatever they want. I would guess most everyone is for "family values" and spends time with their kids. Also, we live in a fast growing area where families are moving in all the time (new houses, not just resells).

The last few years our recruiting has been the cubmaster going into the school the day before rally night and handing out flyers with a very quick speech to the boys. Last fall I did a table at school registration/open house the day before school started. We had a lot of people stop by. I don't know how many signed up. Had some girls who wanted to join so they could shoot bb guns. {smile}

Last fall the only existing pack members at rally night were myself (den leader), cubmaster, my son (2nd year Webelos), and the Committee Chair. I don't felt like we answered many questions. This year I was not involved. They signed up a Tiger den and then 2 Bears, a few Wolves, and a couple of Webelos.

I'm a big "cheerleader" for Cub Scouting. I wear my uniform, tell everyone about Cub Scouting, etc. I'm trying to get more adults involved. Also, trying to get the boys to bring friends. My son and I were trying to recruit while selling popcorn the last few years! Our cubmaster is looking to leave next year when his youngest crosses over. He is burning out and stretched thin. I plan on sharing your ideas with the rest of the pack leadership (never mind we can all fit into one van). I also will share you ideas with our Assistant District Commissioner for Cubs. She is also always looking for new ways to get boys in scouting.

At Cub Leader training recently one parent said "I felt pressured into being a leader, I wish they had told us before rally night they needed leaders". We all laughed and said "but then you wouldn't have shown up". Now I see there IS a another way. Takes a plan and some time, but sounds like it is well worth it.

SCTMOM ...

Whatever they said about having a good program counts a whole lot and then some. This is what attracts the boys in my humble opinion; however, it's just like a promise you make to your son, you have to keep. If you were going to say that you are taking them to a sleepover on an aircraft carrier, you will have to make goods on your words.

Our neighborhood are somewhat middle class folks. The Elementary that we recruit from has about 960 kids (1st to 5th). Let's say the number of boys is about 550 (~60%) of the kids. To have around 100 boys in our Pack from the Elementary (20 are from the neighboring Elementary ... last year, 10 of those boys and parents presented themselves to me as a Tiger Den completes with den leader and assistant den leader! I almost fell to the floor! ... and we didn't even advertise in their school), I'd say we have done well. That means 1 out of every 5 boys in the school is in Cub Scout! Not bad. Our brother Pack, Pack 616, also did well every recruiting season. I think that they average around 35 boys each time. We do an Open House together ... etc. Their side is a tad bit higher class than our side.

One person cannot carry a Pack alone, no matter how big or small it is. See my post on the "Help !!" thread. Burn-out comes to mind. My Pack wants for me to stay on and I could easily stay on for the next 10 years because of the spacing between my 2nd son and the youngest, but I feel that I need to go on to the scouting side with my older son. My take on it is that I will shift my energy to develop a good troop for my oldest and for younger ones when their time comes. Right now we have two Troops and they have their problems. That is why some of my previous Webelos 2 defected to another troop close by but in a different District. My task is to join one of the two current troops and see if I can influence changes to make it better and to get the leadership to run it the way that it should be ... boy lead and learn. If I can't change 'em, I'll start another troop if I have to (my current Web2 parents are trying to convince me to do this; however, since my job is on the buble, I regretfully can't committ the time to start a new troop to them). Without, good scouts, there is no foundation for future generations. I will still help "the Pack move and ... help the Cubs Grow!"

My advice is that through words of mouth ... the boys will advertise it to each other. As in the movie "Field of Dreams," "build it and they will come!" If you and your committee set up a great program ... changing it constantly instead of leaving stale (ie. doing the same over and over again), then your son and his fellow scouts will advertise it to the boys in the class. All that the Pack leadership has to do is to advertise it during Rally week. Remember, be wacky, be silly, and be a kid. They will do the same! :)

By the way, we have to compete with sports as well ... soccer, basketball, baseball, football! That's why I always have the year calendar planned out and passed out before the scouting year starts. This way my parents will have the various activities planned around Cub Scout, because before practice starts ... they usually ask which day would fit everyone's schedule!!!!! It's time that other activities are planned around Cub Scout ... not vice versa which has been the case to date!! Having the yearly calendar at Rally Night is another selling point, they will see whether or not you are going to deliver your Promises!

I'm still trying to figure out how to make Scouting cool ... like it used to be in the old days ... how to make scouting desirable enough like baseball for example ... where the boys and their fathers will stay out there in the field to practice in rain or at 9:00 pm at night! Too bad that too many lawyers got involved and thus restricting alot of what it used to be cool to do ... many moons ago!

YIS

Long