Our Pack is in the final stages of planning for our Fall Roundup. I want to present to the parents a list of all possible volunteer positions when I ask for their involvement. I want this list to be as detailed as possible...from the committee chair to Pinewood Derby Pit Stop worker. No job is to small or to big. Please give me your suggestions. Examples of my list so far include: Den Leaders, Assistant Cubmaster, Advancement Chair, Blue & Gold Coordinator, Day Camp Coordinator, Popcorn Coordinator, Pinewood Derby Coordinator, Pinewood Derby Track Officials. This is only a partial list but I relish the suggestions of my fellow Scouters.

Thanks!!

Paul

Paul,

I would not put every position for the Roundup. Some Parents may feel pressured at first. I would have a least the den Leaders and such on your list. After everyone signs up, have a parent meeting after your first meeting. At this meeting have a sign up sheet with the different "events" throughout the year. Have the parent sign up to be on a committee or help with the events. Then let the committee chair of the group set job assignments.

Make sure to let the paernts know that without them, the boys will not have a fun and eventful year.

This is the way in which we have done it and it has worked very, very well.

Tim Dyer

Paul,

My advice...DON'T DO IT!

I know that might sound odd but let me explain. Listing all the jobs will only frighten some and warn others away. Before you even get a chance to ask for help folks will be be looking for ways to say NO.

Instead, use the time you would have taken to share the list and tell the parents how rewarding it is to work with the kids and how the Scouting program makes it fun and manageable with resources for every aspect of the pack program. Remind them that it's a family program and that we will all have fun together.

Then get together with your committee chair and start identifying speciific jobs that need to be done. identify the skills needed to be successful, the resources available to help and then indentify the person most capable of doing the job.

Finally take the resources and job description and go see that person. Tell them that you have a specific job that needs to be done for the children to have a great year of scouting. describe the job and why you chose this person to do it. Tell them what the goal is and how much time it should take, and when they will be done.

This tactic takes a little longer but is far more effective. You will get the best person for the job, they realize they are valued as an inividual. Most importantly people will say yes.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

Hopefully, all those positions aren't open. I wouldn't include all the positions that are already filled, and the above advice not to hit the new parents at Roundup night is sound. I think, however, discussing the open positions is appropriate for the parents of your current boys.

At Roundup, it's more important to impress upon the new parents that their participation and support of their own sons is key to their success in Cubs. I think it's also fair to tell them that the operation of the Pack is a cooperative effort and that at some point they need to help at some level. It's important to establish that expectation early.

Thanks for your advice. Let me clarify my intentions. We are not planning on hitting the parents to sign up for a position during roundup. Fortunately all of our primary positions are filled. We are lucky to have a Den Leader for each level and we will only be asking for "Helpers" during roundup.

It's our intention to have the Den Meetings the following week during which the Committee Chair and myself plan on holding a parents meeting.

We are hoping to show the parents that most of the jobs we need filled only require a couple of hours once or twice during the year. Parents are more likely to say yes to two hours December than to signing up for an "hour a week" position. Once they have signed up and completed their small job they will be more likely to take on more responsibilty.

ScouterPaul,

Trust me. There is safety in numbers. If you ask them as a group they will help each other find ways to say no. It's human nature. Speak to them privately one at a time. Let them know that you are not looking for "someone" to to the work. You are looking for "that individual" to do a task that is important to the boys.

You will have dramatic results.