New CubMaster....not good at talking in front of people.

I am currently a new Cub Master in training, and will be taking over in January. The only problem, is that I know I'm not very good at talking in front of people. (The current one is REALLY good at it).

What type of training does BSA have for something like this? I'm not one that has one of those really awsome personallities (bubbly, etc.), and I'm not afraid to actually get up in front of a lot of people.. I just know that I am boring as hell to listen to, and don't capture peoples attention very well.

In other words...I need help.

Any advise would really be appreciated.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! and welcome to the club. i do public speaking to a large degree at work and am an assistant cubmaster with a cubmaster who can sometimes get a little dry. we spark it up with not being afraid to embarass ourselves, crack jokes, keep it short and to the point. use skits, run-ons and engage the boys. ask them questions and use silly questions also. allow yourself to "act larger than life". i jump up and down in front of my cm's face to get his attention while he ignores me and i get the kids into trying to get him to pay attention for example. dont be nervous, no one will know you are nervous. that pause that feels like an hour is only a few seconds and no one really notices. if the natives get restless, then you know its too long. dont make excuses to the kids that you are nervous or dont know what you are doing. just have fun. you obviously took this position because you cared, let it shine through (and dont forget to use the sparklers book, skits and program helps for some silly things to do). good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be afraid to "let your hair down". Have some fun with it. You may want an assistant to handle the "public" end, if you're uncomfortable, and you handle the administrative duties. There's more than enough for work two in most packs.

By all means, get the training. All the way up to Scoutmaster fundamentals, and Train the Trainer. Each one will haelp you to be comfortable speaking in publc.

And remember, they're just kids, if you treat them with compassion and respect, they'll love you for it, regardless of how "polished" your public persona is.

Hello & congratulations on the Cubmastership! Hey, public apeaking isn't everyone's bag. A long time ago, I was a radio announcer for 10 years & that certainly helped me communicate, not only one-on-one but to groups as well. Really, I think as time goes on and you become more comfortable in the position, speaking to the group will get easier and easier. As you get to know all of the boys and leaders and in the process of working with them, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Just like volunteering, this whole thing is a process and, in time, you'll be speaking to them all at Pack nights confidentally.

Welcome to scouting, I have been Cubmaster for five years, I remember feeling the same way you do. I was afraid that I wasn't doing a good enough job or that maybe I just wasn't the right person for the position. I was a wreck and I asked my wife how she thought I was doing, I'll never forget what she told me. She said you know what at least your doing something for the kids and thats more than a lot of other people. Remember to always have fun with what your doing I love to call on boys for advancement and then pretend I've lost it or something to that effect and they love it to. Forget what people think about you and and have fun with your Cubscouts, you are getting ready to make friends with some of the best people I know CUBSCOUTS!!!

The most cost effective and successful way I've found is to join a Toastmasters group in your area. Most Toastmasters groups are very affordable and the choice of times for meetings vary widely. Try www.toastmasters.org to find a club in your area. Visit a few clubs and see which one works best for you, both timewise and philosophically. I've seen persons who couldn't say their name in front of a group become very accomplished and innovative speakers in short order due to Toastmasters.

I agree with a whole lot of the responces so far.

My best addvice is they are not just people you are talking in front of, they are FAMILY!

As I like to tell my newer Scouts, this stuff is a lot more fun if you take part in the sillyness.

If you can't be silly and mess up in front of family, where can you?

Congratulations!! Welcome to the ranks of Scouting Leadership! I was a Cubmaster, like many of the others, for four years. Getting up in front of people IS difficult. I know...I stutter. For me, the best thing I could do was to be as prepared as possible. If I had to wing it, it was very difficult. Secondly, I would like to say..."walk the walk and talk the talk". That means, be up there in full uniform and look the part. The uniform will lend itself to respect and willing listeners. Also, who are you talking to? The boys. You are getting them excited about a pinewood derby, coaching them on scouting skills, praising them for their advancement, and reminding them of upcoming events. I think you will find that how those boys hear you is different than what you perceive. Enjoy these times with the cub scouts. They'll enjoy you, too.