Goshen webelos camps

• 4 weeks later...

My main question is whether your boys are Webelos-2 NOW? If they are, they will not be wanting to go to Webelos camp next summer, but will be wanting to go to camp with whatever Boy Scout Troop they will be part of. My second question is what the pack and other Webelos in the pack are doing for camp. It seems to me that Webelos camp works best when the boys go to camp together with their den. There are lots of great opportunities for Webelos at camps all over the state.

I checked out both PMI and Ross when I've been at Goshen. Both from what I saw and what I've been told, the programs are about identical. The differences are in geography - PMI is far more sloped than Ross (better exercise?????). And Ross is hardly flat! I'm a Bear Den Leader now(with my son), and Cubmaster, so I am looking to work with the parents and boys to set up a great Webelos camp opportunity next summer for our boys. Goshen is the council camp, but we will also be looking at Brady Saunders, Pipsico, Shenandoah, and Bayport, as possibilities. We'll see!!

thanks for the response - our kids are Web-1s now, so they will be Web-2s next summer. We took them to Tuckahoe this past summer for the webelo program. Our plan is Snyder for the tiger/wolf/bears, Tuckahoe for Web 1s, Goshen for Web 2s. It looks like we're heading to Ross due to availability.

I've been to both camps twice, though it has been several years since my last sojourn. Yes, I think the programs are (still) pretty much identical, as are the facilities. The main differences are topography and layout of the camp. Camp Ross has longish rolling slopes, while Camp PMI is steeper and rockier. Camp Ross is more spread out, with some of the campsites quite a distance from the activity areas; Camp PMI seems more compact. The main buildings at Camp Ross (Admin, QM, Trading Post, Dining Hall) are all together around the parade ground. The main buildings at Camp PMI are more spread out, with a nice little climb uphill to the Dining Hall from the parade ground. Camp Ross has a bigger parking lot; Camp PMI's parking lot is smaller and a bit more challenging. I don't know if this is still true, but Camp Ross had a much better camp cheer ("Ross is Boss!") than Camp PMI ("PMI, PMI, PMI, Yeah!").

• 6 months later...

I have been to Ross as an adult leader of a Webelos Den, and I have hiked through all of the camps as part of Trail Camp. I will add a few more details.

1) PMI always seems to fill up before Ross, so SOMEONE clearly likes it better.

2) PMI puts you within potential walking distance of Swinging Bridge and Viewing Rock for Webelos. From Ross, you need a vehicle to drive the first part. I strongly recommend visiting both during your stay. We started at 5 AM for Viewing Rock and we almost caught the sunrise, but not quite. Unfortunately, it wasn't a "see the sun burn the fog off the lake" morning. Those are REALLY cool. Oh yeah, we were back in time for second breakfast at 9:30, but just barely.

3) Camp Ross is further up the lake than Camp PMI, so the waterfront is not as great. That's not a huge issue for a Webelos camp, which is probably part of the reason they use Ross for this.

4) Camp Ross is on the side of the lake away from the mountains, so you have rolling hills and GREAT views of the mountains on the other side of the lake.

5) Camp PMI is on the side of the lake with the mountains, so you don't have the same sweeping vista, and the camp has a distinct "UP" and "DOWN" orientation to it. Walking back from the waterfront is a hike.

If I had to do it again, I would pick PMI first, but at least 50% of that is because I have been to Ross before.

Oh, and BTW, Ross no longer has the issue with iron particulate in the water that they had in the mid-1980's. We used to call it "Camp Rust", and we would do anything we could to avoid drinking the water from their system.