Camp Bonner in NC Will Now Become Camp Boddie...

Just a heads up as I know Camp Bonner in Blount's Creek, NC has a great reputation. Effective January 1st, the camp will be "officially named" Camp Boddie, pronounced "body." According to the first PDof Camp Bonner and current council president, Camp Bonner was never officially named Camp Bonner. The council executive committee has therefore decided to "name" the camp "Camp Boddie."

Again just a heads up that Camp Bonner will be Camp Boddie. same great camp, same great staff, just a new name. And if you continue to call it Camp Bonner, I know alot of folks who won't be upset :)

Actually when the dining dining hall burned down in 1995, the Boddies did cater for summer camp :) . Yep the council is renaming the camp for them. I have to admit, they do a heck of a lot for the council, both publicly and privately. It's been stated on the Facebook's Camp Bonner NAme Preservation group that they should haev changed the reservation's name to Boddie Scout Reservation, keeping the summer camp as Camp Bonner. I liek that idea, but no one ever listens to me.

Eagle92,

That happened around these parts a while back. The camp had been known as Nanticoke Scout Reservation, but was renamed after a large gift from a noted philanthropist, Richard A. Henson. The new name is Henson Scout Reservation, Camp Nanticoke ... despite the fact that there's only one camp, and no need to differentiate. The original plan in the 1960s was to develop two camps on the reservation, Nanticoke and Choptank, but that's not happening any time soon.

Nowadays, it gets called everything from "Camp Henson" (the newbies) to just "Nanticoke" (by the old-timers). I assure you the Bonner name will remain for years and decades to come.

How is "Boddie" pronounced, btw? I can imagine a lot of really bad (some foul) "Camp Body" jokes...

Edited to add: As further proof of the principle that name changes take a long time to sink in, I referred above to the "new name" of Henson Scout Reservation. In the interest of accuracy, that's been the name since 1987, right around the time I started visiting there for Cub chariot races. < sheepish grin >

I have on occasion daydreamed about winning the lottery and using part of my winnings as a donation with the proviso that the name be changed back.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

It's pronounced body. Yep Camp Bonner is gonna be heard for a very long time. My old council sold camp Salmen to get a 1600 acre reservation that was not being encroached by Slidell, LA. While the reservation is call Salmen Scout Reservation,the summer camp is Camp V-Bar. But you still have folks 30+ years after Camp Salmen closed, calling Camp V-Bar, Salmen. Also while I accidentally slip with 'venture crews," I think the leather belt with "Camp Bonner," my "Bonner Scout Reservation" staff cap (yep I putting my smokey away whenever I go Camp Bonner), and my son's Camp Bonner cap all show how I feel. It's not that I am trying to disrespect the family 'cause they are awesome, but I think the reservation should have been called Boddie Scout Reservation with Camp Bonner and the Pamilico Sea Base instead of East Carolina Council Reservation with Camp Boddie and the PSB.

Herbert C Bonner was a congressmen that donated several large tracts of land to several youth organizations for use as camping facilties. The land was outside Washington, NC. Across the river from that site, the council also obtained land, and together both properties were known as the Herbert C. Bonner Scout Reservation, with the summer camp being "unoffically" called Camp Bonner, and the northern property called "Camp Bonner North" and is primitive camping today. I say unofficially b/c according to the council's property committee, the summer camp was never offically named, despite merchandise to the contrary.

Yes I have mixed emotions on this. I worked one entire summer there, plus countless first offical CS camp out (we were invited to a family campout with the pack we eventually joined in April). So there is some emotional baggage there. Also from promotional aspect, Camp Bonner does have a reputation as a great camp, which I and other staff members have worked hard in the past and today to create. Don't want to see people not come b/c they don't realize that Boddie is the same camp as Bonner.

BUT on anotehr note, I do knwo how much the Boddies have helped not only Camp Bonner, but all of the council camps as well as council programing. They are phenominal and are worthy of permanent recognition. I just think they are being shortchanged; I think the entire reservation should have been renamed Boddie Scout Reservation, keepign the Camp Bonner name.

As for Camp Bonner, it's history and what it has to offer, check out the website

http://www.campbonner.org/

especially the photos 'cause we all know 'a picture is worth a 1000 words"

http://www.campbonner.org/photos.html

The camp has been around for 40 years. Facilities include 2 showerhouses, dining hall, pool, C.O.P.E. course, year round nature lodge, and riverfront property. they offer a multitude or programs. one great feature is location of the nationaly certified Pamlico Sea Base, within walking distance from Camp Bonner. That way your older scouts and venturers who are tired of the same old same old of summer camp ("I don't need to work on any more MBs")can challenge themselves with one of several different high adventure activities. check out their website also

http://www.pamlicoseabase.org/