Summer camps lat/longs for GPS users....

Post em'here...

Maine High Adventure Base (boat landing via Shin Pond)

49 09' 10.85"N 68 48' 15.90"W

Post em'here

Camp Lions - Pipsico Scout Reservation

37 11' 03.31"N 76 52' 40.53"W

Otarri - BRMC

36 59' 41.83"N 80 34' 41.68"W

Powhattan - BRMC

36 57' 50.60"N 80 39' 47.13"W

Camp John Mensinger - Greater Yosemite Area Council

38 12' 47.43"N 120 08' 33.37"W

This thread isn't for backpacking. It's for drivers who are using GPS units in their vehicles. Thus, UTM's won't work. At least not for my GPS unit.

The ideal is to provide information to make it easer for unit leaders, new to an area, to make their way to camp. Or, to use Google earth to see where a camp is located for planning purposes....

Wait a minute, you guys drive to scout camp? Is that really what Baden Powell had in mind? A clear breakdown of the patrol method! Shame! I blame Woodbadge!

Seriously, I don't know the lat/long but I was surprised to find out that Goshen Scout Reservation is one of the preprogrammed locations in my Garmin GPS (nuvie 200, a pretty bare bones model). A number of local church campgrounds that we use are also preprogrammed. In fact, just about every camping area I have looked for was already in there. They are all under the "lodging" menu. The only one that I have field verified is Camp Manidokan, a relatively small Methodist church camp in Maryland (near Harper's Ferry, WV). I was surprised it was in there and even more surprised that it was accurate. Will wonders never cease?

Check it out, you may not need to do your own programming for some or all of these camps. But then again, what's the fun in that?

Hal

Here is a few from Alaska

Eagle River Scout Camp, Juneau Alaska

Main flag pole 5830'57.2" N 13449'23.9"W

Parking Lot, 5831'13.0"N 13448'04.7W note it is approx 1.5 mile hike from parking lot to the flag pole, no driving

Gorsuch Scout Camp Anchorage Alaska

Main flag pole 6125'27.1"N 14924'13.9"W

UTMs on request