No sick Scouts

I'm not saying we need to go overboard.

But ...

If something as easy as proper hand washing and not eating food that we know has been contaminated will prevent a Scout from becoming sick, surely it's worth that little effort?

Ea.

Absolutely agree Eamonn!

You know I find it interesting (going offtopic a bit) how it seems cooks and medical personnel are often the ones you see smoking cigarettes. I know there's exceptions, but I really have found that quite interesting. I hate watching a cook go from smoking their cigarette outside and walk right in and start cooking. Even if they cleaned their hands, they are still likely to be breathing on the food!

Hops, even the non-smokers breathe on your food. I agree, handwashing is the singular most effective thing we can teach scouts. Food handling safety is an inherent part of Cooking MB...which is no longer Eagle required. Go figure.

Hops,

As far as I know there have not been any real studies done that prove that food handlers who smoke pose any greater threat than non-smokers.

The dangers smokers can do are caused by their hands coming into contact with their mouths and by contaminating food with matches, butts and ash (Ash is of course sterile)

You need to be more concerned about people eating and drinking in food prep areas.

Ea.

E,

If your description of your summer camp kitchen operation it true, they are at a minimum of violating mandatory national camp standards! I would highly recommend that something be done about this. For anyone who knows Mr. Fullman speech about camp standards: they represent the bare minimum of what is expected at a camp. As you may or not be aware, camp must meet all mandatory standers; something must be done either inter-council or through the NE Region.

If you have access, some standards to look at (from 2008 standard book):

M-22

M-36

M-45

M-47

M-48