How to wear Eagle Palms

The palms are worn on the ribbon of the Eagle medal. Yes, it is appropriate to wear both the medal and the patch at the same time. The medal (in my opinion) should be saved for more formal occasions, such as Courts of Honor, Ceremonies, etc. Recently, I was showing some new Scouts in my troop my Eagle medal (I let them hold it once when they first join, then tell them they have to earn their own before they get to hold another one). One of the dads was amazed at how it looks brand new. That is probably because I only wear it once or twice a year and keep it in its box until I get to the special event (in other words, I don't wear it around at all).

Once your son turns 18, he'll need to switch his Eagle patch to an Eagle square knot. He can still wear the medal if he wishes.

Check the "Insignia Guide" current 2002-2004 edition page 5 heading "Two Badges with the same meaning" You will find that with the Eagle rank patch and the Meadal its an either or but not both. Page 22 under Eagle Palm you will find the palms are worn on either the medal ribbion or the Eagle square knot.

Not in the book but experience tells me the palms are worn on the Medal , centered. As with tenure pins, only the device which represents your current level should be worn. That is to say when you earn 5 additional badges you would wear the bronze palm, earn ten and you wear only the gold palm not both together.

It is difficult if not impossible, due to the knot hanging in the middle of the medal, to display the palm in the center of the ribon. (I found out while helping a scout pin his palm on for a District dinner last night.)

Bob