Great Summer Camp Traditions

Just back from our week at summer camp. We went out of council this year to Skymont Scout Reservation near Altamont, TN. Near perfect weather and a good time had by all.

This was my third Boy Scout summer camp, and I realize that no two are the same, but they all seem to be good. I also noticed most have unique traditions. What are your favorites? I'll start with two.

Death March (Camp Tiak - Wiggins, MS) Boys have to get up around 5AM and are taken on a backwoods hike that usually ends shortly before morning flags/breakfast. You have to participate two of the three days to earn the Death March patch and be able to buy the Death March tee. Usually a cool skull in the design.

Cracked Skillet (Skymont Scout Resv - Altamont, TN) Unit with daily top campsite inspection is presented a skillet and given a section to paint with their Troop number, colors, etc. Skillets are then hung in the dining hall for future attendees to see.

SOunds like fun. Our camp would never have anything called a "death march". It might scare the little darlings and their helicopter parents and inhibit attendance. We had to change the name of our morning swims from "Polar Bear" to "Early Bird". It seems "polar bears" are too scary. I'm being totally serious here.

They're both tradition and program... tradition because they've been going for 75 years plus, program because they are part of the camp program:

At the H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation (Heart of America Council, Kansas City, MO) and the Geiger Scout Reservation (Pony Express Council, St Joseph, MO), we have the Tribe of Mic-O-Say, founded by Chief Lone Bear, H Roe Bartle (Scout Executive in St Joe 1925-8, KC 1929-54 or so, and Mayor of Kansas City 1955-63). BTW, the late Lamar Hunt, first owner of the Kansas City Chiefs, named the team for the Chief... H Roe Bartle!!

Broad, general information about each branch of the Tribe is available at the Council websites. As with OA, mystery is a tool to develop a childs' mind, so we guard well the Inner Circle.

This week, through the Tribe, Geiger recognized 74 3d year, 50+ 4th year, 40 5th year, 20 6th year, a dozen 7th year, and three 8th year campers. That means some of these Tribesmen started at age 11 and have transitioned to being young adult ASMs in their Troops!

At Bartle, the numbers will be on the order of 150 4th year (there are minor program differences between the two branches of the Tribe), 130 5th year, 90 6th year, 65 7th year, and 30 8th year campers!!

These kinds of numbers will happen each session for six sessions of summer camp at each of these two Scout Reservations

Camp traditions which keep the youth in Scouting are very good indeed!

In Friendship and Warmth, John(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Buckeye Council's 7 Ranges Scout Reservation Pipestone Camp Honors Program, 81 years strong and still going. Can't say how many Scouts/Scouters come through each week (at least 300-400). According to the camp director, outside of National's main high adventure reservations, we draw the next largest crowds nationally from 20-25 different states, Canada and Europe, just so they can earn their Pipestones.