Promoting patrol method at summer camp

How do you promote the patrol method at summer camp?

As Eamonn mentioned in another thread, summer camps tend to guide towards a "troop method" rather than patrol method. This is done in a number of ways. Some I can think of off the top: campsites only have one cooking area, campsites don't lend themselves to patrol divisions by tent set-up, use of dining halls, etc.

Our camp has the food service contracted out for several years, so we are pretty much committed to this method of feeding the troops. The troops DO cook in their campsites once during the week.

So...how do your troops promote & implement the patrol method in camps that are set up for the "troop method"?

Camp sites can always be subdivided. Have each patrol set up their area. Have you ever read the 2nd Class req. 2b? One has to select his patrol site. Hard to accomplish with a troop site.

When I became Scoutmaster one of the first things I did was make sure each patrol had their own patrol box, stove, lantern, tents, utensils, water jugs, etc.

Look at how troops are set up at the National Jamboree. One flat square troop site which most troop subdivide into four areas (or sometimes five). Each patrol cooks separately.

Another thing our troop does is have the adults function as a patrol. This gives the youth something to emulate. We also have the SPL and ASPL eat with the adult patrol on occasion as a "perk." This also leads to the PL not being overshadowed while the patrols function.

acco40

Sad to say this sounds great, but a lot of the times it just isn't going to work.

Having patrols set off their own area is nice but some camps now have concrete tent platforms.

We use treated lumber and the things weigh a ton!!

The camp isn't keen on campers moving tents. All sorts of reasons: Wear and tear, not putting them back to where they were and most of all the tents are placed in safe locations away from falling tree limbs.

One sure way to get on the wrong side of the staff is moving the tents.

At the Jamboree the Commissioner Staff are charged with ensuring that all stoves and equipment are in good working order and are being used correctly. Our camp has one Camp Commissioner for the entire camp. I don't think he even has a nice super-duper spray bottle with soapy water in to check for leaks!!

Also at the Jambo the Scouts are self scheduling for the most part they can go where they like and do what they like when they like, summer camp seems to be more about Scouts rushing from one merit badge class to the next. (I'm in no way saying that is a good thing!!)

Much as I hate to say it when it comes to Summer Camp in our Council, the patrol method goes out with the dishwater No one seems to pay it no never mind.

Even the ceremonies are done by site or by Troop.

There does seem to be a lot of down time from after dinner (supper) until bedtime. Inter-patrol games and projects could be done.

I can't help thinking that as long as Summer camp is all about individual Scouts earning individual merit badges nothing is going to change.

The really sad thing is that after a couple of years the Scouts don't see camp as being fun and they stop going, some quit Scouting so what was all the rushing from class to class for?

Eamonn.

In my sons troop they really promote the patrol method at summer camp, they boys work on their indiviual merit badges but everything else is treated like teamwork and patrols are rated in may areas including advancement in rank, working together and the like, then a honor patrol is named the last night and the scoutmaster has special steak dinner reserved just for that group, the adults don't even get the steak. It amazes me how food really motivates a group a kids to have fun and work hard together.