Never been to Cub Resident camp........

Hey everyone,

As a new Web DL I convinced about 2/3'ds of my den to go to a 3-day Webelos Weekend this summer. I figured I should start them small this year... next summer we'll go for the full week resident camp.

Here's my question: I've never done this before, what will be expected of me as a DL at camp? All my kids also have parents that are staying with them for the long weekend. In general, am I just there to herd them from one camp-provided activity to the next, or should I be prepared to schedule and provide activities on my own?

Any input would be appreciated. Y'all are always a lot of help!

YIS,

EL

It's really going to depend on the camp, so you might want to talk to someone who has been to your camp before.

I've been to two different camps for three summers and each time, the camps were very good at providing lots of activities even in the evening.

I'm guessing that with only three days, you are going to be pretty busy and will not have to bring many things for the boys to do during free time. Free time can be just that for them. I ended up bringing more than I needed, But here are some things that I did bring/do:

-Board games and group games like pictionary.

-I hid a treasure and filled it and gave them clues to find it. I simply left the note with the clues on a picnic table like it was left by some former explorer.

-Pony beads and lanyard string.

-Any kind of ball (football, kickball etc) to play with and, of course, frisbee's.

-glow sticks

-Ropes to practice knots with

If you want you can carry a Webelos book around and if you have time, you could go tick off a requirement or two during down time. But be careful not to "overschedule".

To tell you the truth most kids just liked to hang out during their minimal free time, most also brought books to read. Some liked to use their pocket knives to whittle sticks. (Make sure this is okay with the camp, if they have their whittling chip card)

Jo

I have been to Camp Boyhaven(Twin Rivers Council, NY)

for three sessions.

Depending on how old your boys are, your responsibilities will vary at Camp.

My experience is that you need to insure your boys get to the appointed place on time.

Boy Scout and girl venturers run the classes and activities at our camp and other than getting them to the right building on time the instructors do the rest.

You'll be responsible for their comfort, cleanliness and general appearance of your site.

For swim time they will have lifeguards so that will be handled.

Get them to bed on time, make them drink water and assure they have a buddy at all times, insure they get to morning and evening colors on time.

And a ton of other things.

You really sure you want to go?

Really you'll have a great time!!!!

I did and I wish that I had a second Tiger Scout so I could do it all over!

I'm going to week long Boy Scout Camp this year, I'll let you know how that goes.

If there are three pieces of advice for any first time camper,

1) Get them a good water bottle, such as a Nalgene.

2) Make them drink (and make sure you drink).

3) Buy plenty of ice through the trading post or camp kitchen.

80F temps can deceive in how fast a person dehydrates. Water, water, and more water. Cool is far more palatable than tepid or even hot.

john is right about fluids.

Our camp issues each Scout a plastic mug and potable water is everywhere. Scouts must always have their mug, their den hat and a buddy.

Remember a rope or cord to set up a whittling area.

Make sure kids wear sunscreen. Especially the blond haired ones.

If you have a pie iron bring bread and pie filling.

If we keep going with this the list gets longer and longer.

Instruct parents to label everything that they would like their child to come home with.

This is our 3rd summer attending Resident Camp. Our den just crossed over to Webelos, so we are going to Webelos-only Resident Camp this year. We've had these boys since they were Tigers and they've been with us to Resident Camp before - always 4 days, 3 nights. But one thing we are keeping in mind is that they are entering 4th grade now. Many of the Webelos requirements encourage more personal responsibility. So we are reminding the adults (4 adults to 8 boys in our case) to not step in at the first sign of trouble or distress. In fact, the Camp we are attending lists "increased self-sufficiency" as one of its goals for the boys :-)

Beyond that, things I have done in the past at Resident Camp:

1. Get the boys up and at 'em - and get them to bed - on time.

2. Get the boys from Activity A to Activity B on time.

3. Practice an outdoor flag ceremony at home so you can volunteer your den for a morning or evening ceremony.

4. Practice a skit or two for the campfire programs.

5. Have a "grace" in mind that the boys can share.

6. Remind the boys about water - get them started in the habit now.

7. Take lengths of rope for knot practicing.

8. Teach yourself some cheers, chants, cadences, etc. for the walks between activities. Our boys were the loudest (and proudest) at camp last year!

9. You won't need to provide activities for the boys - your schedule will likely be full. But they will have free time and den time on your schedule also. Take your football and Frisbee if they want it.

10. Take your Webelos handbook.

11. Glow Sticks or necklaces are always a hit around the tents. You can save them for the last night :-)

12. I got those glow-in-the-dark plastic arrowheads at the Scout Store. Each night before bed, I gathered the boys and presented 2 or 3 each night for various reasons. "John finally earned his Swimming Belt Loop today!" "Sam was really brave to volunteer for the skit tonight at the campfire!" They LOVED getting these and it was a nice way to end the day and settle them in for the night.

Enojy yourself! It is a GREAT experience for your son and you!

clyde