The Patrol Method at Work

It has become obvious through the many string and posts at this board that the Patrol method means entirely different things to different people. What concerns me most are the people who when they hear of scouts who are given more leadership opportunities then their scouts get become defensive rather than excited. They say "How could you?" instead of "How can I?"

This string is to allow those who use the patrol method of scout (as Baden-Powell said "The only method of scouting") to its full measure.

Here is just one of my examples.

The troop arrives at the campground and the patrol leaders each with a patrol member go in search of a patrol campsite. Once they have selected it, they return to the troop and lead the patrol to the site to set up camp. At a time predetermined by the Senior Patrol Leader the patrol Leaders gather and lead the SPL on a tour of their locations. The SPL then leads the SM on the same tour. As they walk around the SM questions the SPL about the good things and the things that the SPL thinks can be improved at each site. The Spl then returns to the patrol sites and talks to the Patrol Leader about what is good and what the Patrol Leader sees that needs improvement and then leaves the Patrol Leader to make the needed changes with his patrol.

This is not just the way my son's troop works (and I am not the SM) but this is how the troop I served as SM worked, and this is how my troop over 30 years ago worked.

I am more and more proud of these boys every time we camp.

That's the Patrol Method. What story will you share?

Bob

Along the same line of thinking, our troop goes to a camporee and the SPL goes to the cracker barrel. Here he would get info such as the next days events, OA events, and other meetings through out the weekend. This helps the boys learn communications.

Also each patrol member has a certian job assigned to him for the weekend on the duty roster such as fire builder, cook, waterman, dish washer, etc....

Boys also cook and eat separatly as patrols, sleep as patrols and compete throughout the weekend as patrols.

As adults going to a camporee weekend we try to encourage patrol method by doing it too. The adults also have their patrol, cook, eat, sleep, as a patrol. We try to set an example. Although at times when it comes to a campsite inspections it is sometimes the adults who have been found in violation of something. The boys really get a kick out of it. The patrol is the best method.

Nicely done featherswillfly. I've always found that the adults setting the patrol example is not only good training for the scouts, but is the best ASM recruitment tool. When parents see that when they come on a campout their job is to work with other adults and observe while the boys follow the agenda camp agenda made by the PLC, they understand that being a leader is not the hassle they expected.

You know after a fun filled weekend the adults always say we had more fun than the kids. We also use the patrol method when we go to summer camp. A duty roster is made up before we even leave. Duties such as camp clean-up, the ever dreaded tilly duty always a favorite, fireman, cook for cooking in the campsite, and mailman. It means so much more to the boys when they get awards at the end of the week for campsite inspections or scout spirit or coming up with the best bribe for the camp commissioner (homemade jerky always works).