Thermarest Self Inflating Mattress

Thanks so very much for ya'lls input. My son is a big 6'2'' 235 lb. boy who will be getting his eagle next month and with ya'lls recommendation ideas I found the best place was online at campmor.com so I guess this will be his eagle present from us because what I read it will get a ton of use after he graduates and goes into the military to defend our country.

Buffalo - My ASM had a Big Agnes pad (the standard one, not insulated) that he used in the Boundary Waters last summer and loved it, and it rolls up MUCH smaller than the Thermarest pads. Very durable, too. Held air every night on the trip. I bought one this year and it has been great. Very comfortable and very portable. I have the standard size, so I'm sure the Mummy style would be lighter and fold even smaller. I bought mine at REI.

Buffalo,

After giving my Therma-rest Pro to our Interpreter at Northern Tier (she really needed it), I bought a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. I used it a few times, but I just can't get comfortable on that type of surface. I also didn't really care for having to blow it up. I bought a Therma-Rest Pro Plus to use now. I don't roll it up, I just deflate it and fold it to a size that fits the length of my backpack. This gives me another layer of padding between the gear in my pack and my back.

If you are going to buy a Big Agnes, I can give you a deal on a slightly used one.