As equipment guy and QM mentor for the troop, we are starting to look at replacing a few old dining flys. Currenty, we have been using 12X12 poly tarps/flys for patrol kitchens and river trips.

Last year I picked up a 12x12 light weight nylon fly from Sportsmans Guide, to occupy shelf space next to my personal stock three heavy weight nylon 7x8 and 10x10 flys...man is it sweet! Used it on a couple of canoe trips and car camps...its great! 'Course I don't know how it will 'hold up' to long, hard use...Yet. Any other suggestions, reviews, experience?

I know many units are now using the quick-up style folding-frame canopies...but thats not our style...we want to dry it, roll or stuff it, and store it away!

thanks in advance for the info....

anarchist

We have three or four nylon (I think) ones for camping during the year, but for summer camp we use very old, canvas ones. I'm guessing possibly military surplus things. They are HEAVY.

Right now all of those are in our trailer. Soon, however, the canvas ones are going out due to the fact that they are seldom used. They'll be placed in our newly renovated shed at the CO's place.

ME NOW ME NOW.

We just did a great fly.

Made out of 3/4 electrical pvc pipe, rebar and a tarp.

Took the boys less than 15 minutes to put it up and we can change the configuration.

14 10' sections of 3/4" electrical pvc pipe

14 2'x1/2" rebar

1 20'x20' tarp

lay your folded tarp out on the ground. hammer the a piece of rebar in at each gromet of one side of the tarp. Measure a 12' span from rebar across and match placement of rebar. Connect two pieces of pvc and stick over rebar making an arch

place tarp over arches and bungie gromets to arches. Tie off a guy rope at each end of the tent. We use a 20x20 during the winter because it goes all the way to the ground. In the summer we use a 20x16 and is leaves an opening on the sides.

It is great. And the nice thing is that it stores in the trailer so great. We have 3 brackets mounted on one side. The pvc stores there, the rebar in the closet and the tarps in another storage compartment. If anyone wants pictures just e-mail me and I will send them.

I also have a pattern for a picnic table that you can make out of one sheet of 7/8 plywood that breaks down and stores. Our boys love them. Each patrol has a table. We are going to make two more.

Thanks so far...

Lynda J,

I have seen your type of outfit...its a 'home' version of the garage tarp others have posted (but faster to set up and put away than the store bought ones...but it is still a real bear to load in a canoe or carry on a hike...(bet we just need more boy scouts huh?) We have the store bought version and it only gets used maybe once a year...

What I am looking at are the really light nylon flys...that one boy can carry...

keep it comming though...

heigh ho heigh ho its of the camp we go....

I agree it wouldn't be great canoeing or hiking but for normal camping it is great. Our total cost on putting it together was under $50.00. We plan of adding extensions for summer camp to the ribs. This will make it just a little taller.